Coconut Caramel Porridge - vegan & dairy-free
There's so much focus on Christmas lunch but not enough on Christmas breakfast. As it comes up to my second year as a vegetarian at Christmas the main event is somewhat less exciting but we can all start Christmas day with this breakfast recipe - it's vegan, super easy to make and pretty inexpensive. I was sent some Nature's Charm coconut caramel sauce to experiment with and a warming winter breakfast was the perfect way to put it to use (also suitable for eating straight from the jar).
You will need:
- porridge oats
- non-dairy milk (I used Alpro cashew but almond or coconut would work too)
- coconut caramel sauce
- dark chocolate chips (it's Christmas!)
1. The night before Christmas, mix 1/3 cup of porridge oats per person with double this amount of milk in a microwaveable bowl. Pop in the fridge overnight. This makes a huge difference to how smooth and creamy the end result is.
2. Microwave the porridge in 1 minute blasts, stirring well in between and adding more milk if necessary until the porridge is at your desired consistency. Times will vary depending on your microwave and the amount of servings you are making. Use a huge bowl and monitor carefully to avoid exploding porridge disasters.
3. Warm up the coconut caramel sauce in the microwave while the porridge cools - 30 seconds should be enough.
4. Serve up the porridge, add a swirl of the sauce and top with fresh raspberries and chocolate chips.
What do you eat for breakfast on Christmas Day?