Friday, 5 August 2016

London: Breakfast at Smokey Tails and Living The Good Life For Free in London

There is such a thing as a free lunch. Ok, a free breakfast. Smokey Tails in Hoxton Square launched their breakfast menu in the finest way possible - by offering a free breakfast to Londoners on a Monday morning.

Smokey Tails Breakfast

 I live quite near by and upon being woken up by the sunlight at 5.45am had no excuse not to head along. Worried about potential queuing, I arrived at 7.15am to find...no one else there. Shortly after I was joined in the queue by another girl - we ended up chatting in the queue and then sitting together, it's easy to make friends when you've both woken up before the rest of the city in search of free food. I love those moments when London briefly stops being its harsh, unfriendly, money-grabbing self and life is sweet and it's July and you're eating breakfast outdoors in the sunshine in Hoxton Square for free.

Smokey Tails Breakfast

I opted for the peanut butter and hazelnut granola with yogurt, agave syrup and berry coulis. It was delicious - the peanut butter flavour really came through in the granola and it was the perfect early start breakfast along with the bottomless filter coffee on offer. 9am came around all too fast and real life beckoned but inspired by the free event I decided to spend the rest of the week exploiting as many freebies as London could offer me (yeah, New York meant that my credit card needs a rest)...

Smokey Tails Breakfast

~ I went to a free Heartcore barre class, with locations all over London your first class is free and you can try their barre method or Pilates.
You can also get a free first class at Lomax (which I reviewed here)
Sweaty Betty offer free workout classes in their stores - they get booked up quickly but there's no limit to how many times you can attend.

~ I watched a free film at the screen at Paternoster Square (see also the Scoop at London Bridge here) - I'd actually never sat through Back To The Future in full before and loved it - the 80s fashions wouldn't look out of place these days.


~ Benugo gave me a free coffee for signing up to their mailing list (you get another free one on your birthday)

~ Leon gave away free cake for their birthday - signing up to their mailing list is a good shout as there are often freebies and offers

~ Abokado gave away free lunches to celebrate the opening of their Blackfriars Road store, keep an eye on Twitter feeds of chain cafes as lots of new openings celebrate with freebies


~ Uber Eats delivered my lunch for free (I could get used to this freebie lark!) and you can use my code eats-lilys279 to get a £10 lunch delivered, too


~ Sign up for a My John Lewis card for free cake and other deals, I got a free dessert in Rossopomadoro in their Oxford Street branch


Finally, keep an eye out on Time Out's weekly round-up of free events (I always rip this page out of the print edition) and Eventbrite and Billetto have a range of free events, I've been to free group meditations and last summer a morning poetry reading session. So much of enjoying this city is about getting out there, giving new things a go and having no expectations - you can have fun in London without bankrupting yourself and some of these experiences have been so much more than just a free thing to do.

Any freebie tips for me?
lilylipstick
SaveSaveSaveSave
Share:

1 comment

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig