Friday, 26 August 2016

Working It: Disco Yoga at Trapeze Bar

Disco balls at the ready.
One of my best discoveries of summer 2016 (close tie with the realisation that I like Bloody Marys) has been Disco Yoga. Two concepts that maybe do not seem logical to combine have been brought together on Thursday nights at Trapeze Bar in Shoreditch by yoga teacher Sarah Hunt and DJ Darlo. By Thursday evening I'm always feeling a bit too low in energy to hit the gym (the weekend is so near but still SO FAR) and yet weeknight drinking makes me feel a little guilty and makes my Friday morning inbox seem so much more insurmountable. The answer to this Thursday night conundrum is ...Disco Yoga. Bear with me here, all will be explained.

DISCO
Post glitter-station.
 Yoga purists should look away now - this class takes place in the bar's basement, with disco balls, flashing lights and, goes without saying really, a disco soundtrack. Before the class there's a glitter station to get you looking the part (wearing disco clothing is optional but encouraged) and once the class is over there's an ever-changing menu of yoga-themed, healthy-ish cocktails to choose from and to help to kick-start the weekend.

Sarah and I with our cocktails - mine is the Going Coco Down In Acapulco (tequila, vita coco and chia) and Sarah has the Goji-Yogi Pear (rum, pear, cognac and goji berries)
As for the yoga class itself, because I'm filing this blog post under "work outs" rather than "bars", it's an actual yoga class which will challenge you and threaten to sweat off the glitter that you've just applied all over your face. Sarah is a great teacher - I'd been to her usual yoga classes and the disco format means that while the class is light-hearted it's still a great workout and a proper hour-long yoga class. The upbeat soundtrack means that I always tap into energy reserves I didn't know I still had by Thursday and Sarah will sometimes throw in an impromptu "dance party" mid-flow which will have you laughing and dancing with people you've only just met. Not your average London experience while sober on a school night. The relaxation segment at the end definitely wipes out any working week stress and makes me feel like my weekend self and totally ready for my post-class cocktail. The class is suitable beginners and more experienced yogis - it's in the dark and doesn't take itself seriously so there's no judgement on your yoga skills here. Mats are provided so just bring along an open mind. And maybe some leg-warmers.

I couldn't not have a cocktail served in a pineapple now, could I?
Disco Yoga has been on a summer break but resumes on Thursday 1st September and tickets are available here for £15 which includes a post-class cocktail.

If you're looking for something a little more chilled, The Yoga Mela are hosting a charity yoga day at the beautiful Edwardian Stanley Halls on Sunday 25th September which sounds like the perfect way to end a weekend and honour the change of seasons.
lilylipstick
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig