Saturday, 18 June 2016

Working It: #MyWorkOutFor...Single Life at Virgin Active

virgin active my workout for
Despite being a regular gym-goer I'm very set in my ways - yoga, Pilates and spin classes are all firmly within my comfort zone. Weights and high intensity circuit training? Not so much. Virgin Active recently teamed up with Robert Nixon to help him create a work out for single life with the goals of being more active and increasing confidence.

virgin active my workout for

 I headed along to the 200 Aldersgate branch of Virgin Active expecting an easy-ish work out and some Saturday afternoon chit-chat with fellow bloggers. Boy, was I wrong. Not about the second part - I very much did enjoy the blogger chat but the work out was super tough. We were divided into teams by personal trainer Tyrone (who made every move look about as easy as sitting down) and moved about four workout stations, completing three moves at each one using kettlebells, dumbells, Viper bars and bosu boards. Keeping up? The moves ranged from sprints on a watt bike (easy but not when they're on your second circuit) to weighed "get ups" (imagine getting out of bed on a Monday morning only using one hand while holding a 5kg weight in the other). Working in small teams definitely made it easier as we counted down the reps together and spurred one another on.

virgin active my workout for

I woke up the next day feeling like I'd done ten rounds in the ring in my sleep - those aching muscles definitely prove how hard you have worked and while I'm used to achy legs from my marathon running days last year, this workout had clearly worked my entire body. It definitely made me re-think my gym routine and I'm going to add more weights and HIIT into the mix as doing something outside of my fitness comfort zone made me realise that I could definitely do with a bit more upper body strength (bonus that it may make carrying things easier and fewer tube station suitcase struggles can only be a good thing).

virgin active my workout for

virgin active my workout for

I forgot that there'd be a camera crew there - I might have put some make-up on otherwise but keeping it real here as in real life I'd never wear make-up to a gym class but looking back at these photos I think I could do with some sun...

Thanks to Robert and Virgin Active for a great day! Check out the YouTube video of the workout here.


Share:

3 comments

  1. That looks like one hell of a workout! I've never used viper bars and bosu boards before. The hotel I started working at earlier this month has a gym, so I did some weight training for the first time since coming to Japan... and I could barely walk for three days after, so much DOMS, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds insane, I need to mix up my gym routine a bit more I think!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it certainly looks like a tough workout - you like like your in hell in the last one! (But in a graceful pretty way!)
    This sounds like a great workout. I love doing circuit style things as it keeps you from getting bored.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig