Monday, 6 June 2016

Recipe: Raw Pad Thai

Raw "cooking" is my favourite sort - I'm often very impatient when I'm hungry and the idea of waiting around for something to cook is pretty unappealing. Raw food can seem intimidating but it's actually very easy to put together something tasty and healthy - I'm not suggesting just munching on raw carrots and lettuce! I'm working my way through the curry sauces as used in this post and was inspired by Lizzie's Thai Eats to put together this raw pad Thai.

raw vegan pad thai recipe

The key to making raw food interesting is lots of colour, a range of textures and making sure you get some healthy fats and protein in. I remember the days when I felt good about eating a plate of salad for lunch only to be starving two hours later... This is pretty filling but still light and summery and much more nutritious than a takeaway version. The curry sauce isn't strictly "raw" but it adds a lot of the Thai flavours that you'd expect but you could leave it out or add some fresh chilies for a spicy kick. Annoyingly, many Asian sauces are not vegan or even vegetarian so always double check if you are using one - the flavour often comes from fish sauce of shrimp extracts.

The best thing about this recipe is that you don't need to be too precise about quantities and can use any vegetables that you have - julienned carrots would work really well to add some colour and don't worry if you can't find edamame or don't like coriander!

raw vegan pad thai recipe

For the pad Thai (serves two):

Courgetti (I used one pre-spiralised pack but you could use 2-3 courgettes and a spiraliser)
Half a cucumber cut into small pieces
Edamame (small handful)
Coriander (around a quarter of a pack)
Beansprouts (two small handfuls)
Goldfish Brand Thai Curry Sauce
Half a lime

In a large bowl, mix the courgetti, cucumber, edamame, coriander and beansprouts. Make up the curry sauce by mixing a table spoon of the paste with boiling water and mixing until it forms a smooth sauce. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix well. Serve with a slice of lime for squeezing over.

raw vegan pad thai recipe

For the Thai "pesto":

Corriander (around half a pack)
Pinenuts (two small handfuls)
Dried chili flakes (to taste)

Blend the pinenuts for around 20 seconds until they are broken up but not forming a paste. Throw in the coriander and dried chili and blend for another 20 seconds or so - I didn't want mine to be too smooth as I prefer to still have the crunch from the nuts.

Eat with chopsticks! This also works as a great work lunch, I never thought I'd see the day where I bothered to make my own lunches but it actually takes so little time (especially if you live alone and are making food for one and most recipes serve two or more) and beats spending £6 on a sad sandwich.

raw vegan pad thai recipe


lilylipstick
Share:

2 comments

  1. This looks delicious! I usually do mine with a light peanut sauce and some carrots but I definitely need to give this recipe a go!

    - Elodie x

    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Apart from courgetti, I don't think I've made many raw dishes before.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig