Monday, 9 May 2016

London: Exploring Broadway Market

broadway market
It's easy to think that you've seen it all in this town. But even after almost nine years of London life there are still places I haven't ventured to. Our city is changing so fast and some parts I am lucky to have explored "before" and some I have only know the "after". Some, like Broadway Market, are just right how they are - a perfect mix of old and new London and my destination on the first properly summery Saturday of the year. Even in as relatively short a time as nine years some parts of this city have changed dramatically, its easy to be fearful of change and to only see the negative elements to it. I know that this city will change even more, at an even greater pace in the next nine years. The best solution? To explore the right here and right now, to savour every moment and to hold on tight to the diversity and spirit that this city has - the future hopefully isn't all glass tower blocks and Starbucks branches.

broadway market

After three weeks away, a small note in my Filofax said "Broadway Market" - as if written by someone else as a weekend prompt for me on an otherwise plan-free day. I walked along the canal in the perfect spring sunshine until I found the location of the market - an entire street packed with stalls and cafes spilling out onto the pavement. The market is a mix of food for eating on the spot (well, in London Fields at the top of the market), foods for taking home and craft stalls. The market was busy but the crowds were manageable unlike Borough Market which last time I visited made me wish I had attached a set of reins to my companion to prevent us being parted by the seas of tourists. I settled on a vegan burger from The Veggie Table for lunch and picked up a veggie scotch egg for the journey home (which, yes, made me feel like a member of the Famous Five minus the lashings of ginger beer).

broadway market

broadway market

broadway market

broadway market

broadway market

The walk home along the canal - the tower blocks have been decorated with photos and every spot along the canal had been turned into an impromptu picnic (in true London style involving booze and crisps only). I'm putting in my request for more sunshine for the rest of the summer.

Broadway MarketSaturdays 9am - 5pmLondon Fields Overground


Share:

5 comments

  1. The food looks so yumm <3 Great post!!

    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Broadway Market, it's definitely one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh it looks so cool! I love markets like this - with such interesting food on offer. Love the art as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I definitely need to make a saturday trip there. Looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig