Sunday, 24 April 2016

Recipe: #SpringSalads Tofu Scramble

Spring is here and (climate change and snow-in-April permitting) so is all the lovely seasonal spring produce. Lighter evenings and (hopefully) warmer temperatures call for fresh flavours and this month Florette challenged me to come up with a spring salad creation. I also got sent some lovely goodies to inspire me - flaxseed is high in fibre and Omega 3 and is easy to add to a whole range of dishes for additional goodness and this spray on balsamic dressing might just be the best invention ever.


Weekend brunch is the perfect time for testing out a new recipe idea - I'd never made a tofu scramble before and have to admit I was sceptical but it was so easy to make and so tasty. Perfect for if you don't eat or don't like eggs - the texture is the same as scrambled eggs but there's no "eggy" taste and tofu is super high in protein so this is a great vegan brunch for days when you want something a little more grown up than Oreo cereal. I served my scramble with a fresh spring-inspired side salad - asparagus isn't in season for long so make the most of it while it is.

Ingredients:

- One pack of plain tofu
- One bag of Florette baby kale
- Asparagus
- Cherry tomatoes
- Capers (optional if you don't like them)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Seasoning for the tofu - I used tumeric, smoked paprika and a little bit of hot sauce
- Flaxseed (optional)

Method:

1. Press the tofu (the first time I cooked with tofu I didn't press it and it was grim) - I put the tofu on a plate, put another plate on top of the tofu and then put a hardcover book on top to weigh it down. This makes me feel like such a hippie until I go off and check Instagram for 15 minutes. Once pressed, pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper and "scramble" it with a fork.

2. Heat a frying pan and wilt the baby kale, throw in the tomatoes and asparagus for a few minutes and set to one side once warmed through.

3. Add the tofu to the pan and sprinkle with your seasoning of choice - I used tumeric and paprika for their colour (otherwise the tofu scramble will be white and not look very appetising) and a glug of hot sauce for a spicy brunch-time kick. Tofu doesn't really have a taste so while this gives it a bad rep as being bland it means that you can flavour it however you like. Tumeric not only gives the perfect egg-like colour but is an anti-inflammatory and full of antioxidants and the paprika and hot sauce give it a Mexican-inspired flavour. While cooking, sprinkle over the flaxseeds and stir through (they won't affect the end taste), moving the tofu around the pan so that it cooks evenly.

4. The tofu is cooked once the edges start to brown slightly (10-15 minutes). Once done, serve alongside the wilted kale salad and dress with the capers and balsamic vinegar. I kept mine on the low-carb side but this would be great with rye toast or crusty sourdough, too.

vegan tofu scramble recipe

vegan tofu scramble recipe

What are you favourite spring eats?
lilylipstick
Share:

3 comments

  1. Oh gosh, I haven't made a tofu scramble in so long! I must buy some tofu now! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tofu scramble! I discovered it when I was veggie way back when, and it's so versatile, because you can make it taste completely different depending on what spices you use. I usually throw some veggies into the actual scramble as well. It makes for a really good topping for baked sweet potato :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so so good and super healthy! Tofu is such a great food - scrambled, fried, stuffed! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig