Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Travel: Amsterdam Is For (Cat) Lovers

Cats aren't the first thing that spring to mind when thinking of Amsterdam. They're maybe not even in the top 10 but the city is actually pretty purrfect for cat lovers. Saturday became a rather cat-themed day, starting with a wander along the canals to the KattenKabinet. This rather niche museum is situated in a canal house and is dedicated to all things cat-related as well as having its own resident kitties. A retrospective look at cats in art and culture from ancient to modern times and the gift shop is a must if you are looking for presents for any cat ladies in your life (hint hint).

The afternoon took us to Kattencafe Kopjes, a little further out of the city centre but not too far from De Foodhallen. I would definitely recommend booking a slot here - the cafe is tiny and we were very lucky to sneak in after a couple left just as we'd been turned away. There's a small entrance fee and drinks are reasonably priced (only cards are accepted, no cash - this seemed to be a bit of a theme in Amsterdam so make sure you have a card that doesn't charge for use in Europe). The cats are super cute and have a lot of toys and obstacles to keen them engaged and entertained. One came and had a little snuggle on my lap and definitely didn't want to move from his new round nap spot!

cat cafe amsterdam
KattenKabinet. 
cat cafe amsterdam
Looking out at a garden filled with cat propaganda. 
cat cafe amsterdam
This is a Disney film I need to track down.
cat cafe amsterdam
Kattencafe Kopjes. The front section of the cafe serves food, drinks and cat gift items. The cats are safely behind a screen door away from the cakes!
cat cafe amsterdam
Fresh mint tea and cats - bliss!
cat cafe amsterdam
The menu (for humans not for cats). Amsterdam is so English-speaking friendly, everyone has perfect English and Dutch is pretty similar so you can work a lot of things out! 
cat cafe amsterdam
Cats and bikes.
cat cafe amsterdam
The residents. 
cat cafe amsterdam
Making a new friend.
cat cafe amsterdam
An escape artist! 
cat cafe amsterdam
It's little face when it realised that the fur hood of my coat isn't another cat!
Have you visited a cat cafe? Check out my reviews for London, Paris, Seoul and Osaka - are there any others I need to check out? 

Share:

2 comments

  1. I'm not gonna lie... I'm in the dog camp I'm afraid. I have nothing against cats (or cats in general, certain cats I used to live near I swear were against me) but I just don't feel that, er, love for them that you do. It's cool though, we can still be friends ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig