Friday, 19 February 2016

Salad Secrets - Baby Kale Matcha Smoothie #SaladMatch

This month Florette challenged me to come up with a Valentine's creation - February is the month of love after all. As I was sent this beautiful heart-adorned milk bottle to inspire me I knew my February creation had to be a smoothie of some sort rather than a salad. Kale smoothies and romance aren't an obvious combination but your body will love this recipe far more than chocolates and champagne (sorry to go all Gwynnie on you but it's true...) and before you can love someone else you have to love yourself, or something like that....  A healthy smoothie in a cute bottle is a good place to start.

I'm still obsessed with all things matcha and using both baby kale and matcha made this smoothie so vibrant and green. This is the perfect breakfast smoothie as it packs in fruit and veg as well as a small amount of caffeine from the matcha to give you a natural lift without the energy crash of coffee. Baby kale is a great source of vitamin A which old wives' tales say helps you see in the dark, no comment as to whether that might be a necessary skill for romantic exploits. I couldn't resist using my heart-shaped cookie cutters to make little "jam sandwiches" too - slightly tweaked from the sugar-crash induing version served at children's parties but still cute enough to put a smile on my face and being single means that they're all for me, right?

Baby Kale Matcha Smoothie

Blend up the following, pop in a stripy straw and top with freeze-dried raspberries for some colour contrast:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Half a banana (freeze first for extra creaminess)
1 chopped pear
2 handfuls of Florette Baby Kale
1 teaspoon of matcha powder (available from Japanese supermarkets and health food stores)

Jam Sandwiches

Use a cookie cutter to cut rye bread into heart shapes - healthy bread instantly becomes cute. For the chia jam mash 100g of raspberries with 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and leave to thicken in the fridge for 30 minutes. Make up the sandwiches and serve with a few fresh raspberries. Heart-shaped tea-lights optional.

kale matcha smoothie recipe

kale matcha smoothie recipe

kale matcha smoothie recipe

kale matcha smoothie recipe


kale matcha smoothie recipe

Check out the #SaladMatch hashtag on Instagram for more Valentine's inspiration.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig