Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Tea For Five - sketch London

Before last weekend, I hadn't had afternoon tea for far too long. My wallet and waistline can probably be pleased about this but if I had to pick a meal to have out I'd always go for afternoon tea over lunch or dinner - I blame my child's tastebuds which love bite-sized sandwiches, tiny cakes and a sense of occasion when ordinary everyday foods are elevated to something special.

The pink parlour at sketch has featured in many an Instagram feed and (unlike many things in life) it doesn't disappoint in reality. A mix of super girly with it's marshmallow soft chairs, Instagram-filter like lighting and irreverent British eccentricity with David Shrigley art on the walls (some less suitable for my child-like mind) and quirky crockery. The sketch Christmas afternoon tea is the perfect Christmas present to yourself and a haven away from the trials of a pre-Christmas or post-Christmas West End - its available until 31st December after which the usual afternoon tea offering will be back. My blogger pals and I had a fun, sugar-fuelled, pink-tinged few hours here at the weekend and I had to sneak a blog post in before the inevitable January diets start...

Square Mealsketch christmas afternoon tea
The menu - the buche de Noel is really the only Christmassy addition to the traditional afternoon tea. Fine by me as Christmas sandwiches and mince pies aren't really my thing! 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
David Shrigley line drawings adorn the walls. I was drawn to one of these in particular. 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
The teacup knows best. There's a huge selection of teas which were replenished regularly - and we had the chance to switch between the ones on offer. I stuck to the Japan Sencha as I love a stronger, cleaner tasting tea with sweet treats. 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
Sugar. It's not ok. 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
The three tiered tea stand. From the bottom - sandwiches filled with coronation chicken, cream cheese and cucumber, smoked salmon, quail egg and a mini cheese toastie (grilled cheese). I didn't ask about veggie options as my coronation chicken one could easily be traded! The sandwiches are refillable and second rounds were delivered promptly. I loved the warm cheese toastie wrapped in paper and ribbon and the melt-in-the-mouth smoked salmon sandwiches. Scones were delivered separately, in a choice of plain or raisin, warm and wrapped in linen napkins. 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
When your friends are bloggers and all take pictures too. Working up the tier, the next two levels had patisserie cakes - aside from the cassis cheesecake I wasn't in love with any of these but I'm not a fan of patisserie and, for me, the sandwiches stole the show. Un-pictured meringues and marshmallows provided a further sugar rush! 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
The buche de Noels came on a separate trolley in a choice of  raspberry and lemon or chocolate, coconut and praline. I opted for the latter which was delicious. 
sketch christmas afternoon tea
The tearoom - can I just come and live here, please?
sketch christmas afternoon tea
A visit to Sketch isn't complete without a trip to the loos. And a photo of the loos.
Have you had any festive afternoon teas this Christmas?



lilylipstick
Share:

7 comments

  1. YAY! It was so good to see you Lily. I could 100% indulge in more of those sandwiches (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I need to go here!! I've earmarked this now for a birthday celebration. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed my trip to Sketch too! The room itself is just gorge. We went out for a festive afternoon tea in Manchester which was a nice change!

    Jasmin Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many good things about Sketch - I definitely need to try it one day when i'm in London!

    Caz | thisiscaz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sketch. I really need to go to their afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous I couldn't be there with you guys- it looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig