Monday, 23 November 2015

Salad Secrets - Eat More Veg Month!

This month my Florette recipe challenge is to eat more vegetables. Vegetables can be seen as dull but they shouldn't be! If you get creative with vegetables they can create tasty meals which can be inexpensive, tasty and healthy - don't just rely on supermarkets but check out food markets where vegetables are often super cheap and don't neglect the "ugly" vegetables either. It's shocking how much food is wasted just because its not seen as "pretty" enough to grace the supermarket's shelves... Vegetables may not always be photogenic or as visually pleasing as a platter of fruit but in winter I really try to make an effort to eat more of them in a bid to boost my immune system against winter lurgies and avoid wasting money on sad lacklustre fruit that's been imported from the other side of the world.

Florette sent me a box of inspiration for this month - freekeh & quinoa, vegetable crackers, pumpkin seeds, a "Beet-It" shot and a lemon squeezer... 
Pink Party Crackers (Veggie)

Taking inspiration from the beetroot theme for a snack / party canapé and from the starters at the V-Curious Supperclub. I topped the crackers with soft goat's cheese, cooked beetroot and Florette baby kale for a colourful bite that takes five minutes to make.

Warming Veggie Bowl (Vegan)
This is so easy to make and perfect for a cold evening. I built up my bowl with a base layer of wilted Florette baby kale, quinoa, courgetti, tofu and sun-dried tomatoes. A topping of pumpkin seeds adds crunch. 
Bright, colourful and full of different textures - vegetables are neither boring nor ugly! 
What are your favourite ways to use vegetables?
lilylipstick
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig