Saturday, 7 November 2015

Retro Party Tipples: I'd Love A Babycham

The party season is here so what better way to start Saturday evening with some retro bubbles? Babycham kindly sent me a bottle to try and I knew I had just the glasses from a long ago charity shop rummage to serve it in...

Babycham might be something that your mother drank in the 1970s but it was launched back in 1953 and was the first alcoholic drink to be marketed directly at women.  With it's light, sweet sparkling taste and cute fawn-adorned bottle, women who had only just been allowed to even enter bars were encouraged to just say "I'd love a Babycham". The cute coupe glasses it was served in feel glamorous and oh-so-feminie - my pair are extremely delicate and are lucky to have survived the test of time in such perfect condition! Despite the name and appearance, Babycham is not champagne - it's sparkling perry made from perry pears. It tastes sweet but refreshing and is best drunk ice cold or - for those who want to take the retro factor a little further - mixed with advocat to make a snowball cocktail.

Babycham now feels like a nostalgic tipple, bringing back a bygone era of vintage glamour. Despite it's swish appearance, Babycham has a rather retro price-point - the fawn-adorned bottle here with its party popping cork is only £3.49 (available at Asda, Tesco and B&M).

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Babycham Retro Christmas Party

Have you tried Babycham?
lilylipstick
Share:

5 comments

  1. I have those little cute glasses too! I think it's such a perfect festive tipple!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never even heard of it, but it sounds delicious! The big thing my parents used to do at parties in the 70s was to soak a sugar cube in liquor and eat it. Different times, eh...

    - Elodie x
    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babycham reminds me of my aunty as it's her favourite tipple, she's not a massive drinker but loves this! Those glasses are very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love babycham and the cute deer.

    Sheree

    glitzngrime.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum used to make fun of me for liking Babycham because, like you said, it's what she used to drink when she was younger, although in the 80s I believe! Those glasses are so cute, I'd love to find some of them :)
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig