Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Salad Secrets - Left Overs Month

Salads aren't just for summer. The shops are full of pumpkins and squashes at the moment - not only do these taste of autumn but they make a great salad addition. This month Florette challenged me to use leftovers creatively and with so many of these vegetables around and the obvious Halloween-inspired pumpkin carving there are bound to be some leftovers to use in autumnal salads rather than languishing in the fridge or ending up in the bin. Halloween aside, the amount of food we waste in the UK really is scary. Here are two easy salads that are quick to make and make use of those leftovers:

Florette baby kale recipe
Florette sent me these lovely goodies to get creative with. I love measuring cups when I'm cooking as I don't own scales and these are definitely an update on my plastic set! 
Florette baby kale recipe
The first salad uses butternut squash, goat's cheese and eggs for an easy, protein-packed dinner that can be thrown together in fifteen minutes. This would make an amazing brunch option too and leftovers can be eaten the next day. Proof that autumnal food doesn't have to be heavy and stodgy - warm salads are great for getting your nutrients in, just remember to top with a range of textures and always include some protein to make your salad satisfying.
Florette baby kale recipe
I adapted this recipe, serving it on a bed of Florette baby kale and adding a sprinkle of dukkah spice mix for a Middle-Eatern-inspired flavour. I'll definitely be trying this again which whatever cheese I have lying around as it was so quick to make and really tasty. 
Florette baby kale recipe
Using similar flavours this warm salad was so satisfying on a cold evening. Gaping mouthed pumpkin optional. 
Warm Pumpkin Salad

1. Slice some halloumi cheese into 5mm slices (or thereabouts), spray with oil and sprinkle with dukkah spice mix and smoked paprika. Fry the halloumi until golden brown and set aside.

2. Saute the baby kale until wilted, thrown in some cherry tomatoes and cooked pumpkin chunks.

3. Add the cheese back in for a final warm-through and serve.

Any type of melty cheese would work here along with any veg that needs using up. I cooked the pumpkin in the microwave but you could also roast it if you have more time.  I love the colours in this salad and it's a great source of vitamin C from the baby kale (for fighting those winter colds) and vitamin A from the pumpkin (for seeing in the dark on winter nights).

Florette baby kale recipe
My pumpkin efforts for this year. Spooky Mouth on the left and Pump-Cat on the right. I love carving pumpkins but oh the mess (and the gross string stuff inside of them - yuck)! And yes, nine of my fingers came out of this unscathed. Knives are sharp so do be careful. 
What are your tips for using leftovers? 
lilylipstick
Share:

3 comments

  1. I loooooooooove halloumi and goat's cheese. I've been having quite a bit of roasted pumpkin lately as I bought a pumpkin from Tesco (which took like a full 15 minutes to completely chop up). So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never think to do a hot salad but that halloumi and pumpkin salad looks so good x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stripy straws are fab! I love halloumi cheese and it's great with pumpkin, yum!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig