Monday, 10 August 2015

Healthy Snack: Fruity Balls - Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free

Snacking is a pretty essential part of my existence. 4pm exists and the 4pm slump needs to be tackled but at this time of day your body really doesn't want a KitKat or a double shot latte. Since I gave up caffeine I've found that hit of the 4pm slump to be less hard but that I still need something to perk me up and power me through until dinner time.

These fruity balls are easy to make, last for a week in the fridge and are super sweet so if, like me, you have a sweet tooth it'll be satisfied without any nasties or a sugar crash as these balls only contain natural sugars and also contain nuts for a protein hit. Healthy eating doesn't have to be boring or expensive and making your own snacks is fun - I'm not much of a cook but anyone can throw a few ingredients into a blender. These are similar to the raw brownies I blogged about here but minus the chocolate - as much as I love chocolate I try not to have it in everything!


Apple Balls (pink cases)

1/2 cup cashew nuts
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup dried apple pieces
teaspoon cinnamon


Apricot Balls (blue cases)

1/2 cup cashew nuts
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup dried apricots
teaspoon maca powder


To make - just blend the ingredients in a blender, I use a Nutribullet (yes, I'm one of those people), form into balls and pop into petit four cases or wrap in foil for a portable snack. I like using cashews as they have a mild and creamy taste but any nuts can be used. I find it best to soak the dried fruit the night before so that it's easier to blend - pre-soaking also means that you can use regular dates if you don't want to get the pricer but stickier (and nicer) medjool dates.

The bites may look small but they are super sweet and one or two is plenty for a sweet snack or an after dinner treat. You could also form them into bars for an on-the-go breakfast.

What are your favourite snacks?

Share:

1 comment

  1. This is such a brilliant idea - I've seen raw balls in the supermarket but they are so expensive, never thought to try making my own!!

    www.ellebloggs.com x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig