Friday, 21 August 2015

#SaladSecrets - Superfood Month

This month's Florette recipe challenge involves superfoods. I love including superfoods in my diet as a way to boost my vitamin intake and it helps that many superfoods taste amazing, too. Superfoods don't have to be pricey and can definitely be picked up in a normal supermarket so there's no need to trek to healthfood stores for un-prounoucable ingredients to get the benefits.

Baby kale contains vitamins C and A and is a source of calcium so makes a much better salad base than limp lettuce. Goji berries are delicious to add to a breakfast bowl of porridge and a great immune system boost and switching a regular brew for green tea (add a squeeze of lemon if you find the taste bitter!) means you can get a dose of antioxidants before even leaving the house in the morning! I've created two easy superfood recipes using Florette salad and some of the superfood ingredients sent to me by Florrette.

Florette salad recipes

Superfood Salad

There are various versions of the superfood salad - my take is a great mix of tastes and textures (the key to making a salad filling and interesting) and can be made in five minutes. I love this as either a main meal or as part of a picnic spread. It's so colourful and looks as good as it tastes.

I heated up a pouch of pre-cooked quinoa in the microwave (so easy!) and mixed the cooked quinoa with a bag of Florette baby kale for the salad base. The rest is even easier - top with soft goats cheese, chopped dried apricots (goats cheese and fruit is the best combo!), goji berries and finish with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds and chia seeds for extra crunch.

There are loads more baby kale recipes here.

Florette salad recipes

Florette salad recipes

Creamy Greeny Smoothie

My NutriBullet is definitely the best thing I've ever bought - how did I not used to have one?! This smoothie is so good and the vibrant green colour is a great start to the day, it just looks so healthy! I blended Florette baby kale, a frozen banana, a cup of almond milk and a large spoonful of peanut butter. Topped with goji berries for a texture contrast and for added nutrients. Using salad ingredients in smoothies is my favourite way to get more greens into my diet - you honestly can't really taste them despite the vibrant colour of this!

Florette salad recipes

What are your favourite superfoods?


Share:

4 comments

  1. That salad looks awesome. I love quinoa, I've used it for quiches bases before instead of pastry and it was amazing. I put chia seeds and flaxseeds in EVERYTHING.
    Cx
    charliedistracted.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to have to try the creamy green smoothie! Looks amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad looks lovely. I'm all about the mixture when it comes to salads, and I love them to be nice and colourful as well. Goats cheese is always a winner!
    I'm yet to try quinoa but bought some the other day so maybe this it the week I shall get round to finally trying it!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig