Wednesday, 19 August 2015

A (Cumber)Bitching Weekend + Bonfire Restaurant Review

The weekend just gone was one that had been anticipated for a while. A while being 14 months. Last April I booked tickets to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet and now...I've seen Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet. It was one of those weekends that even while it was all happening it felt surreal that it was happening. Now it's over I feel a strange sense of emptiness that is only filled by the knowledge that I'm seeing it again in...just over two months time!

I wore my Cumberbatch t-shirt for the occasion (available here) - weirdly I was the only person in the audience wearing a piece of clothing emblazoned with Benedict's face. Who would have thought? It's probably for the best that I didn't get the matching leggings, too.

Poprageous Cumberbitch T-shirt

Poprageous Cumberbitch T-shirt

Poprageous Cumberbitch T-shirt

The play itself - I don't want to give too much away as I know a few of you have tickets and in the social media-fied world nothing is a surprise anymore and that's a real shame. Suffice to say it's pretty awesome - the set is amazing and there are a few comedic touches. The story line itself will not be a shock to anyone but having seen Michael Sheen's Hamlet at the Young Vic a few years ago it's nice to see a different adaptation. The weight of anticipation and expectation feels huge and all of the cast (not just BC) put on an awesome show. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves for October and yeah...I saw Sherlock on the stage and that still feels awesome!

Be warned that the first half is LONG. With a 1.30pm start by the time we left at 4.30pm we were starving (next time I will bring an interval snack). Post theatre lunch/dinner was at Bonfire - the new restaurant offering on the first floor of the Barbican Centre which has replaced the Barbican Lounge. I had luckily won a Twitter competition for a free meal for two but as my parents and I had already decided to dine here post Hamlet we just paid for the third person's food - my parents can't complain I don't treat them, eh?

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

Bonfire Barbican Restaurant Review

The setting has been updated for a simpler, more pared-down look. The menu is short and sweet with salads, burgers and chicken. I feel like there are countless restaurants in London with very similar offerings but it obviously works and is popular - the burger train is showing no sign of slowing down!

The restaurant is still clearly getting used to operating under its new guise - the queue for ordering and paying was at times pretty long and the serving staff didn't seem to know which tables to take the food to but hopefully these are teething problems which will be resolved. For summer days there's a huge terrace overlooking the lake - it really is a lovely spot and for I'm surprised (but pleased) that the Barbican didn't decide to put a more pricey dining spot here.

Mummy Lipstick and I started off with negronis (our favourite cocktail) which were strong but not overpowering. My parents both had the Kenyan burger which looked delicious (but not enough to tempt me back to eating meat). I was torn between the veggie and vegan offerings but went for the vegan one as I know I'll be back to try the other soon anyway - the Barbican Centre is my second home after all. The vegan burger was not the best veggie burger I've had but it was tasty (I think veggie / vegan burgers are actually very difficult to get right and it's great just to have the option in the first place) and the sides were all so, so good - we shared fries, sweet potato wedges and raw slaw. My parents were very impressed with their meaty burgers although for burger snobs out there there wasn't the option to chose how the meat was cooked. We shared two desserts between the three of us - the brownie (sans ice cream for me) was super moist and delicious and a great end to our meal.

PS. All orders are 50% off until 5pm for all of August so that makes it a pretty thrifty lunch.

What did you last see at the theatre? And what's your favourite burger?


Share:

5 comments

  1. This all looks so good. I'm drooling over my keyboard!

    - Elodie x
    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a dream team trip to have some burgers is on order Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! I love going to the theatre, I definitely need to book some tickets soon!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow how cool to have seen Hamlet with BC in it. I don't see much theatre at all so I'm very jealous of you being in London and having such easy access to it.
    That pudding looks awesome but there would have been NO way I'd have shared it haha!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig