Friday, 28 August 2015

A (Wedding) Weekend In The City

Last weekend was a wedding whirlwind celebrating my friend S's wedding. The celebrations took place over a few days and I definitely had wedding withdrawals once I returned to reality on Monday morning. This was the first time I'd been to a traditional Pakistani wedding so didn't really know what to expect but bright colours, amazing food, family, friends and love was what there was ♥




The Mehndi party took place two days before the wedding in a colourful marquee - us girls all wore bright colourful outfits, hence my scarf. Most people had had their outfits made for them so the chance of turning up in an identical Coast "wedding guest" dress was minimal! After a dance-off between the bride and groom's friends we all took to the dance floor late into the night fuelled by freshly made dosas and kulfi ice cream. The only downside to not having any alcohol was that my feet were in genuine pain by the time I got home!


The following day we got mehndi/henna applied for the wedding ceremony. This was so worth not touching my phone for twenty minutes while it dried. It's still going strong a few days later - I'll definitely miss it once it fades and it was a great way to catch-up with the girls in between the wedding madness!




On Saturday morning I took a break from wedding-ing for The Bloggers Market at The Hoxton Hotel Holborn. Appetiser, Yo Sushi and Krispy Kreme were all on hand to keep us well fed! It was so fun to meet other bloggers and browse the rails of clothing and the hotel itself is awesome. I didn't stay very long because, well, there was a wedding to get ready for...





Finally, the wedding ceremony. East Wintergarden in Canary Wharf provided a beautiful venue - the whole room smelled of jasmine - those centre pieces, wow!  We had a three course meal (including my favourite dessert galab jamun which you absolutely must try if you ever get the chance) and ended the night with the groom bargaining for his shoe back from the bride's siblings - a Pakistani wedding tradition which became very vocal!

I wore a saree for the first time and I think this is my favourite outfit of 2015 so far. I felt so feminine (and - lets give ourselves permission to think this - pretty) wearing it and having to take careful, small steps so as not to trip over the fabric felt like a far cry from wearing my (now all too frequent) leggings and Birkenstocks combo. My friend SB helped me put it on and so deserves all the credit for this look. I was so sad to unravel it at the end of the evening and for my beautiful outfit to return to a carefully folded piece of fabric.

Wishing S and F all the happiness for their married life - it definitely started in the most beautiful, love-filled and happy way possible.

lilylipstick
Share:

8 comments

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time Lily! Indian & Pakistani weddings are always so amazing! Love the mehndi design on your hands <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful wedding. And I love your sari. It looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous looking wedding. You looked fab in your sari too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wedding and a gorgeous sari!! Sounds like it was a perfect ceremony. I tried kulfi for the first time last night and I'm hooked. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely stunning Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning!! Really beautiful outfits - and what a fabulously decorated venue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend who also was maid of honor stumbled upon this place, a hidden gem, and we popped over right away to see if it had possibilities. On first look and we knew it was perfect. The view from wedding venues is to die for, and provided a breathtaking backdrop to the ceremony and then dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig