Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Hen Do Idea: The Oxford Yurt

It's summer. I'm in my late twenties. It's officially Hen Do And Wedding Season.

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Inside the yurt 
Last weekend I retrieved my festival camping gear from the depths of summer 2014 and headed out to the countryside for my friend S's hen do. Our destination was The Oxford Yurt - a tipi village in the Oxfordshire countryside for a festival themed do. The setting was the perfect escape from the city - fields for as far as the eye can see, a campfire for toasting marshmallows and just enough home comforts for a group of city girls to be happy!

The Oxford Yurt hen party

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Playing dress up 
The Oxford Yurt hen party
I bought along these metallic tattoos to get into the festival spirit  
The Oxford Yurt hen party
Relaxing on the terrace outside the yurt 
The Oxford Yurt hen party
Tea is served - these scones were incredible 
The Oxford Yurt hen party
Orange cakes and strawberry tarts 
The Oxford Yurt hen party
The outdoor table which we were fortunate enough with the weather to use for tea and dinner  
The Oxford Yurt hen party
So far, so civilised but it was a hen do...
The yurt we stayed in was beautiful and we had use of a kitchen and indoor and outdoor seating areas. Proper toilets and hot showers made this a cut above all of my past camping experiences and you can park your car a short walk from the tipi field making bringing anything you need for the weekend super easy (although all your really need is a sleeping bag, wellies if its muddy and drinks and snacks).

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Walking to the Uffington White Horse and taking the opportunity to pose with some sheep 
We had breakfast provided on Saturday and Sunday, afternoon tea on Saturday and dinner on Saturday included in our package - Sarah, the owner of The Oxford Yurt was so accommodating with our group's dietary requirements and the food was all delicious. There was always someone on hand to help us out -  be it with setting up the campfire or suggesting a walk to burn off those afternoon tea scones.

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Post-dinner cheese board 
Dressing up costumes and board games are provided and - because you really can't take the girl out of the city - you can charge your phone via the solar power electricity system, phew (and, sorry, the site did have perfect 4G signal)! With a group of fifteen it was a bit of a tight squeeze when it came to bedding down for the night but the futon mattresses provided were so much more comfortable than any of my past camping experiences that I definitely got the best night's sleep in a tent I've ever had.

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Sunset over the field - there's something so relaxing about being in the countryside 
The Oxford Yurt hen party
Toasting marshmallows over the campfire and feeling like a Girl Guide 
The Oxford Yurt does a range of hen do packages - there's definitely something for everyone and if you're looking for an outdoorsy but not too outdoorsy hen do experience then this would be perfect.  I think we all felt refreshed from our time in the country, made some great memories for S to look back on as her single girl days are nearly over and bonded with one another ahead of the wedding (something which I appreciate so much as a single girl guest!). Big thanks to Sarah and The Oxford Yurt and to the the members of our group who planned the weekend - I just did the Instagramming!

The Oxford Yurt hen party
Breakfast - we were given fruit, granola, yogurts, pastries and helium and eggs to cook ourselves 
Have you stayed in a yurt?



Share:

4 comments

  1. OMG! This looks like so much fun and all of that food look delicious. I've never stayed in a yurt before, they look like posher versions of tents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I've never stayed in a yurt but this would totally be up my street, especially if I was getting married/a friend was getting married. I'm not really too keen on the 'lets run off to a big city, get off our faces and run around the town wearing 'L' plates etc' style of hen party. But, you've still got to have fun!
    I'd totally also love to go and do some 'glamping' so a yurt sounds perfect!

    She's So Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so cute, Lily!

    I have actually stayed in a yurt before, since one of my friends has one on his property in Wales, but we definitely wasn't quite as glamorous!

    - Elodie x
    www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig