Thursday, 23 July 2015

Day Off

I took last Wednesday off to run some errands and ended up having a pretty sweet London day. It's so easy to forget how amazing this city is sometimes when the daily grind has you convinced that a productive Sunday involves three back-to-back episodes of Breaking Bad (this from the girl who never used to watch TV).

The summer days are making me crazily miss the school and university summer holidays. Back when the city was my playground, a mortgage was something boring that my parents had to pay and adulthood was a future promise that was somehow going to be everything that my then-existence wasn't. While it still sinks in that real life doesn't come with any breaks, has no ends of terms to reassess and start anew, that there are no longer any tests to pass and "right" answers to be reached - a day exploring the city is sometimes just enough of an antidote to the adulthood blues.


But first we eat. Sophie, Sarah and I played at being ladies who lunch at the super cute Fleet River Bakery. An old university haunt of mine this tiny cafe does the best tea and cakes - I had a banana and walnut bread and a soya hot chocolate while we chatted away.



Lincoln's Inn Field provided the perfect backdrop for outfit pictures. I haven't bought anything new for so long - partly in disgust at how much I bought in my younger days resulting in a wardrobe so full it doesn't shut. I do feel like my days of over consumption of high street clothing are somewhat over - I have to practically force myself to buy things these days. So, yeah, everything I'm wearing here is old news and I couldn't even tell you what's "in" this season. Happy days.


Waving goodbye to the girls I popped into the V&A for the Shoes: Pleasure and Pain exhibition. For a shoe lover this exhibition is essential - I genuinely felt like I learnt a lot about the history of shoes and footwear across cultures.  And there are lots of pretty shoes to look at. The shoes for bound feet actually made me feel a bit shivery inside. Peppermint tea in the courtyard in the nicest takeout cup I've seen before made for a nice afternoon break.


I've seen a few of these DNA Trail sculptures around. I keep telling myself that I won't be collecting them but I probably will do anyway. This one was behind the Royal Albert Hall. It's all for a good cause.

When was the last time you took some time out?



lilylipstick
Share:

3 comments

  1. This sounds like the perfect antidote to the blues, I love having a day off in the week, it feels like you are bunking off school haha!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had really fun day out. I love having random days off during the week. Luckily I get quite a few with my current rota although I really need to take a leaf out of your book and do something productive rather than just watching TV all day! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh this was such a lovely lunch date!


    My Sentimental Heart

    x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig