Sunday, 14 June 2015

Review: MyProtein Shakes and Pancakes

With summer almost, sort of, kind of here I'm trying to re-focus on eating healthily and feeling good in my summer wardrobe. With the marathon long over and swapping 20 mile weekend runs for al fresco drinks I definitely need to reign in my sweet tooth a little lot! While I'm never going to say no to a slice of cake and don't really subscribe to either the "sugar is the root of all evil" or "starve your way to a bikini body" schools of thought I definitely feel better when I eat better and for me, that's the motivation to not eat an entire tray of cakes in one sitting!

When Myprotein got in touch about their range of shakes, bars and snacks I couldn't wait to try some of their products. I opted for a "Diet Whey" shake in cookies and cream which provides a great source of protein without additional calories and the protein pancakes in the hope of satisfying my sweet tooth without resorting to cake! The great thing about both products are that you can use them as they are or use a bit more imagination and make some really yummy meals and snacks.

myprotein diet impact whey

I mixed the cookies and cream powder with unsweetened almond milk for a quick breakfast. I used my NutriBullet but it also mixes well with just a fork although it's never going to be quite as smooth! The flavour of this is really good - not too sweet for first thing and satisfyingly thick. It can also be mixed with water or dairy milk. I try to avoid dairy in my diet on the whole but yet to find a vegan protein powder that doesn't taste awful! These whey products don't actually taste "milky" though and drinking them hasn't affected my skin (unlike froyo - boo hoo).

myprotein diet impact whey

For a more frappe-like treat I mixed the cookies and cream powder with two handfuls of frozen raspberries, unsweetened almond milk, a heaped teaspoon of cacao powder and blended before topping with cacao nibs. This was so good! Less than 300 calories - this is definitely replacing my frappuccino addiction this summer (my wallet will thank me too!).

myprotein protein pancakes

I love the pancakes for weekend brunch or for dinner because cooking and weekday mornings do not mix. For these I made the pancakes with unsweetened almond milk and added a few drops of vanilla stevia as the pancake mix I tried is the unflavoured one. I mashed some fresh raspberries with a fork and a teaspoon of chia seeds to make a "jam" and sandwiched it between the pancakes. I am a terrible cook but have to say, I was impressed with how these turned out!

myprotein protein pancakes

Finally, chocolate pancakes. I made up the mix in the same way as the raspberry ones above but added a heaped teaspoon of cacao powder to the mix. The sauce is more cacao mixed with vanilla stevia and warm almond milk. These were super chocolatey - I wish I'd had some Coyo or fruit to go with them but definitely will be making these again for when a chocolate fix is in order!

Are you a fan of protein products? What's your favourite?

Share:

4 comments

  1. Those chocolate pancakes sound SO good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pancakes look amazing, perfect brunch fare!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I order protein from MyProtein, have always found them great! I still haven't got round to trying protein pancakes though, have always been worried they'd taste a bit odd but these look great!

    www.ellebloggs.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig