Friday, 10 April 2015

Easy, Healthy and Instagram-Worthy Breakfasts

It’s the most important meal of the day but breakfast can often be a sad, rushed affair. Weekends might mean leisurely pancakes or baked oats but weekdays need something speedy but still tasty and healthy to get the day off to a great start. These options take hardly any time and are portable if you like to eat breakfast at your desk or after a morning spin session – no excuses for a sad cereal bar or those dubious “breakfast biscuits” - these options are tastier and far more Instagram-worthy! The following are all dairy, gluten and refined sugar free and are a lot cheaper than grabbing a croissant and a latte from Starbucks… 
Overnight oats
This is a super filling breakfast that makes itself in the fridge – the night before just throw the ingredients into a jar, shake up and leave to chill overnight. In the morning shake again and you’re done! I prefer to eat these at room temperature so they’ll survive the journey to work or they can be eaten straight out of the fridge. Top with extra nuts, dried fruits or cinnamon in the morning and it’s the perfect breakfast.
¼ cup oats
½ cup almond milk
Teaspoon of chia seeds 
Teaspoon of maca 
Small banana
Cacao nibs 
5 frozen cherries 
Pastel Pink Smoothie

Since getting my Nutribullet I’ve rediscovered my love for smoothies. I had a smoothie blender before and while it was good it wasn’t quite powerful enough to really blitz the ingredients to a super smooth texture. The Nutribullet isn’t cheap but for me it’s been so worth buying as I use it almost daily! For this pretty pink smoothie just blend the following ingredients together and either drink straight away or pop the lid on the jar and give it a good shake before drinking (pretty straw optional!).
¼ cup oats
½ cup almond milk
Small banana Teaspoon of maca
2 teaspoons freeze dried raspberry powder (available here)
Spring green smoothie
Green smoothies are now everywhere and drinking spinach for breakfast is no longer just for LA hippies. I promise this doesn’t taste of vegetables at all and is the perfect start to a spring morning now that the weather is finally getting better. This smoothie tastes so good and has so much goodness in it – it’s filling too thanks to the oats and keeps me full until lunchtime unlike a lot of shop-bought smoothies which can be as sugary as a chocolate bar. Mix up the following and enjoy!
¼ cup oats
½ cup almond milk
Small banana
2 handfuls of spinach
Teaspoon of maca
2 teaspoons cacao powder
2 drops of vanilla stevia (available here)
The best thing about all of these recipes is that you can experiment – adding in superfood powders, trying out different fruits and using different milks. If you're confused about some of the ingredients - Laura has a great guide here.
What's your favourite quick breakfast?

Share:

5 comments

  1. These look so good! I used to have overnight oats when I was younger, but I think I'm more of a green smoothie girl these days, especially now I know about vanilla stevia!

    - Elodie x
    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    Ps- Is it breakfast yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elodie - the vanilla stevia is amazing - it's great in iced lattes too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make time for breakfast. It's my favourite meal of the day. These look like delicious options to add to my breakfast rota.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try overnight oats! I feel like they are probably better for you then the quick microwave ones which I normally have! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all sound so good! I totally need to give the green smoothie a go instead of relying on my usual cereal bars x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig