Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Workwear v Wednesday Adams

After working for almost three and a half years workwear has gone from "ooh, pretty grown up dresses because this is going to be just like 'Suits'" to "what can look decent after being shoved in my gym bag, still look decent after a twelve-hour day, and, most importantly, doesn't need dry cleaning or ironing?" Oh, to be a grown up!

Black velvet dress
Black velvet dress
Velvet Dress - M&S (now sold out) but ASOS have a beautiful (possibly NSFW depending on where you work) one here.

I've had a bit of a workwear revamp lately because, while I may not be in Suits, I still want to look nice and despite sometimes bemoaning my "business casual" dress code (no, I'm not entirely sure what it means either), I do feel more ready for the day when I'm wearing something that's smart but also still "me". We have a monthly dress-down Friday and I just feel a little bit less productive in a skater dress and flats (and that's about as dressed down as I'm prepared to go). This dress makes me feel a bit Wednesday Adams - the cold weather can make even a die-hard lover of primary colours reach for the black - and a bit like a child going to a fifth birthday party. Pushing myself even further into real grown-up territory, I went back and bought it in navy too.
Share:

8 comments

  1. Ah what a beauty of a dress Lily!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha totally wish work was like suits as well! Though they seem to work about 24/7 and still look ridiculously well rested so don't understand that one. Looove the dress! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to start my first 'sensible' job, wearing 'sensible' clothes. I think you're going to be my inspiration, since we both dress nothing like this in real life! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a classic looking dress that is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a classic looking dress that is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve just found your blog and I’d like to say that I’m in love with it!
    Interesting posts, beautiful photos & design! It’s really amazing!
    Great job! I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Wednesday Adams, I feel that every girl has a somewhat ability to channel her indifference and intolerance for mundane human things mwahah.

    The dress is gorgeous! Lovely little LBD.

    edge-e.blogspot.co.uk

    Loves.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this dress, I know some people aren't a fan of velvet but it is my favourite, especially in winter!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig