Friday, 20 February 2015

Review: Lunch at Dishoom

What better to warm up on a cold day than some Indian comfort food? I first visited Dishoom a couple of summers ago and loved the Indian-Persian style food. Two Sunday's in a row were spend having lunch at the Kings Cross branch for Sophie's birthday and the Shoreditch branch with my parents. You can read about breakfast at the Shoreditch Dishoom here.

Dishoom review
The menu is based on sharing dishes (shock horror for fussy only child here).
Dishoom review
Sarah and I shared the Dishoom calamari which was perfectly crisp.
Dishoom review
Elodie, Hannah and Sophie ordered some sharing dishes.
Dishoom review
I had the Rajma-Chawal - a vegetarian curry served over rice. This definitely warmed me up - I was still feeling cold after a morning run along the Thames, brr!
The Kings Cross branch is enormous - the decor is really nice, it looks authentically Indian without looking like a traditional Indian restaurant. The loos are definitely worth a visit and our waiter was super friendly and went to great lengths answering my questions about whether certain dishes contained onion (I said I was fussy...).

Visit two and my parent's and I opted for our own dishes rather than sharing (they are not only children so maybe it's just a family trait not to share food?). We did share the calamari and okra fries though! Again, our waiter was really helpful in suggesting which dishes to order - I love it when servers actually know about the food they are serving. We had a 2pm booking and the restaurant was packed the entire time we were there - they do take bookings and I'd definitely recommend making one on the weekend.

Dishoom review
Okra fries - can I count these towards my 5-a-day?
Dishoom review
Mummy Lipstick had the Dishoom Chicken Tikka.
Dishoom review
Daddy Lipstick had Chicken Ruby and a side of rice.
Dishoom review
I had the Paneer Roll which was so good - not too spicy and super filling.
We skipped dessert in favour of a wander around Shoreditch while it was still light. My parents loved the old buildings and street art but were slightly bemused that people were going into Cargo at 5pm (and that they were they being searched on entry - oh, London!).

Have you been to Dishoom? 

Square Meal
Share:

5 comments

  1. The calamari looks amaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love calamari. Looks like such a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, it reminds me of the Indian street food place we go to in Newcastle, I love it there so will look out for this the next time I'm in London :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Dishoom but everything you had looks amazing!

    Gem x | www.flutterandsparkle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so so good Lily! Sad I missed out on Dream Team dining again ): and how lucky that you got to go twice?! Miss you! I had a dream/nightmare about Glasgow the other night, it was hilariously scary! xx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig