Sunday, 8 February 2015

Review: Dinner at Babaji #perfectpide

I'm definitely favouring time spent indoors at the moment - it's so bloody cold outside! Even better than being indoors is being indoors and eating amazing food so I was very excited to visit Babaji on Friday evening. Located on Shaftsbury Avenue, Babaji is owned by Alan Yau, the creator of Wagamama, and serves up Turkish food - with a particular focus on pide (a "Turkish pizza"). This might not seem like the most obvious opening but Yau's wife is Turkish and like Wagamama the food arrives super fast and is really reasonably priced. Also like Wagamama, no bookings are taken so try to arrive early to avoid a chilly queue!

Babaji restaurant review
The one-page menu features small plates, pides and mains. You can either opt for sharing a selection of dishes or having your own if you're a super-fussy-only-child type.
Babaji restaurant review

Babaji restaurant review
Olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
Babaji restaurant review
Warm Turkish bread.
Babaji restaurant review
Calamari.
Babaji restaurant review
Courgette, walnut and goat's cheese pide for me.
Babaji restaurant review
The pide was so good - like a pizza but much lighter. I love goat's cheese so this was definitely my #perfectpide.
Babaji restaurant review
P had the minced lamb pide.
Babaji restaurant review
Turkish tea to finish.
Verdict? I loved Babaji - the food was all delicious and arrived really fast. The modern Turkish style decor and music were a nice touch, too. There are quite a few veggie options amongst the pide and small plates (including a halloumi dish which I must have next time). Pides are £7-8 so for an area of London which can be a bit of a tourist trap is really good value (although if you're willing to venture out of Zone 1 then Turkish food can be found for much cheaper). The staff were friendly but seemed to still be finding their feet and on a Friday evening the space did feel quite cramped but Babaji is more of a pre / post theatre / cinema / drinks kinda place then a stay-all-night destination.

Are you  fan of Turkish food?

Square Meal
Share:

4 comments

  1. Looks fab! I like the idea of a lighter pizza. Now they can open near me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily this looks incredible!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my good god, this looks insanely good!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added this on my list asap!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig