Sunday, 15 February 2015

Pancake Day Recipe - Healthy and Gluten Free

If there's one day in February that I can wholeheartedly support it's Pancake Day. As a child I would have a pancake feast of savory pancakes filled with tuna and sweetcorn (dipped in plenty of ketchup) followed up with sweet pancakes topped with lemon and sugar. These days the former do not appeal that much and the later could be made a little healthier - the pancakes were made from a packet mix or were pre-bought (my mother and I share our lack of domestic skills sadly!).

This year I'll be whipping up pancakes for one (clearly my Valentine's post did not win me any dates) which are super tasty and also gluten free and low calorie while still being covered in chocolate sauce. These pancakes are so healthy that there's definitely no need to give them up for Lent. My recipe is inspired by the Blogilates two ingredient pancake which now seems to be all over the internet in various guises.

For my take you will need:

Vegan banana pancakes

1 banana (that you bought a few days ago and have left to ripen)
2 egg whites (I use "two chicks" which is available in Waitrose and saves the hassle and yuck of separating eggs)
A spoon of cacao powder (not cocoa powder - available from Wholefoods or Holland and Barratt)
Cacao nibs (I got mine in TK Maxx of all places)
And some unpictured coconut oil

I find it helpful to lay out all the ingredients Blue Peter-style before I start. Coconut oil is full of healthy fats and cacao is the super healthy variety of cocoa - it's packed with antioxidants and has a much stronger flavour than cocoa so you don't need to use much at all. The cacao nibs are like sugar free, unprocessed chocolate chips - they have a strong flavour so a small sprinkle is all you need. If you can't get hold of these ingredients then you can cook the pancakes in 1 calorie spray oil which is what I used to do before discovering coconut oil and you can top with fresh fruit like raspberries or blueberries which is also a delicious way to eat these pancakes.

Vegan banana pancakes

Firstly, make the chocolate sauce. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and had a few drops to your cacao powder, mix and keep adding drop by drop until you have a smooth sauce. If the sauce starts to harden just pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds.

Next make your pancake batter - mash the banana with a fork and mix in the two egg whites (two tablespoons if using the pre-bought egg whites). Heat a frying pan and add some coconut oil. Dollop in the pancake batter (I sprinkled with some optional chia seeds - another superfood high in fibre and protein) and cook for around 2 minutes.

Vegan banana pancakes

My tossing skills are not very good so I opted for rolling the pancakes instead (much easier and less likely to create an awful mess). My batter made three 5-inch diameter pancakes. Place each cooked pancake on a sheet of kitchen paper and once all are done, pop back in the frying pan for 30 seconds to warm through.

Vegan banana pancakes

Serve with some banana slices, a drizzle of chocolate sauce and a sprinkling of cacao nibs.

Vegan banana pancakes

The chocolate sauce hardens on cold foods and stays runny on hot foods. It's perfect also for topping healthy ice creams, porridge or just drizzling over fruit. I also make healthy hot chocolates by mixing the sauce with hot almond milk - its a great way to get a chocolate fix without sugar and nasty additives. 

Vegan banana pancakes

Instagram and sit back and enjoy!

Will you be making pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?

Share:

5 comments

  1. Using liquid egg-whites mean that the recipe definitely isn't vegan. Will be trying the chocolate recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes <3 Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

    Have a great day honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm so excited for Pancake Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Yes, I am preparing for plenty of pancakes tomorrow. These look great xx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig