Friday, 13 February 2015

Afternoon Tea and Art at The Wallace Collection

Afternoon tea is one of the best ways to spend a freezing Saturday afternoon but in London it can be a bit of a hit to your bank account as well as your diet attempts. My friends and I headed to the Wallace Collection with the promise of an affordable afternoon tea served with a side of fine arts. Despite having done my fair share of galleries and museums as a student this was my first visit to the Wallace Collection (I'm not a huge fan of fine arts but the decor alone here is worth seeing) - it is located in a beautiful square just behind Selfridges and entry is free.

The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
 A beautiful building - outside and inside. Shame about the weather.
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
"One sure is craving a scone".
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
Our table is set.
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
The restaurant feels like being outside - minus the bitter cold.
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
Tea and bubbles. The sandwiches were the traditional finger kind - I loved the smoked salmon and cream cheese the most and please tell me that afternoon tea is the only time when anyone actually eats a cucumber sandwich?
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
Lemon meringue tarts, chocolate cherry mousse cake and white chocolate "something". Our waiter didn't explain what anything was and the menu just promises "cakes" - they were all nice so no complaints!
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
Instagram-worthy.
The Wallce Collection afternoon tea
Scone and jam = insulation against the bitter winter, right?
At £19 each (£25 with bubbles) this tea is really good value. The setting is bright and airy and a wander around the gallery afterwards was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon (I also managed a wander around Selfridges too - hard life!). The food was all good - the sandwiches were the traditional varieties with the option to have a vegetarian selection, the scones were lovely - we got a mix of plain and raisin so there may be some haggling if you're not a raisin fan! The chocolate and cherry cake was the highlight - while the rest of the food was nice this was ah-mazing. It had a really unusual flavour and tasted so decadent. There are no re-fills but that's to be expected for this price - it works out as four finger sandwiches, one scone and three mini cakes per person. Service was quick and friendly although it was busy and my re-fill of tea never made it to the table (the restaurant was a little chilly and I could have done with another pot to warm me up).

If you're looking for a traditional but affordable tea somewhere central than this is a great choice - I'm filing it under "places to take visitors to London" as the location is perfect. The gallery shut at 5pm so we didn't see all of the rooms so that's an excuse to go back, as is the carrot cake I saw being eaten on the next table!


Share:

5 comments

  1. Ohh this looks fab! I didn't realise that it did afternoon tea, sounds like an ideal afternoon out really :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate cherry mousse cake sounds LOVELY! What a lovely place to visit!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went there just before I moved back up to Scotland and the rooms in that place are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fab! A spot of culture and art with a lovely afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so lovely Lily!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig