Monday, 1 December 2014

I Am My Hair: Long Bob Styling Tips

A few weeks ago I got quite a bit of my hair cut off. It was half planned, half on impulse - I'd wanted a change for a while after having the same long straight hair since starting university seven (!!) years ago but didn't want anything too drastic. An undercut or green dye might not go down too well at work.

I popped into Taylor Taylor on Commercial Street - a colleague with lovely hair recommended them so I felt in safe hands and at minimal risk of leaving in tears. I sipped on an espresso martini while my hairdresser got to work - I asked for a long bob, with no layers (my fine hair just ends up looking like a mess) and absolutely no "shaping" around my face (too "Rachel from Friends" and I need to be able to tie it up on lazy days).

3pm. Hellooooo alcohol.
Bye bye blonde ends!
Ta-Da!
When I saw all the sun-bleached ends on the floor I did have a brief moment of panic but after a bouncy blow dry I loved it - it instantly looked healthier and made me feel a little bit Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl and a little bit Taylor Swift. The espresso martini was maybe stronger than it tasted but there's something about shaking things up a bit that just makes you feel like a new person. I took my new hair off to a ball and danced the night away, not missing long hair at all.

In the real world where I don't have daily professional blowdries, a long bob is super easy and had made me do far more with my hair than when it was long but without spending hours faffing. For work I either blowdry it straight or tie it in a low bun but on the weekends I get a bit more creative - here are my favourite ways to style it:


Beachy Waves: super easy for casual weekends - I use the Babyliss Deep Wave styling tool (which I reviewed a while ago here) to create a messy wave effect, prepping my hair with Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray first to hold the waves (ultimate lazy girl tip - do the waves on Saturday morning and you're set for the weekend). For an evening look, taking a bit more time to make the waves neater and finishing with a lot of hairspray makes a long bob look part season ready.


Backcombed bouffant: my go-to "third day hair" style and it's so easy. I just spray on liberal amounts of Batiste Tropical, backcomb the roots like crazy, smooth over the top layer and spray with hairspray. Pop the comb in your bag for touch-ups when it gets a bit flat throughout the day and hope that you don't end up in any situations when someone might touch your hair as it will feel like a matted mess! (I live by Blair Waldorf's "only boyfriends touch the hair" rule)


GHD Waves: Perfect for making freshly washed hair look less "done" - I rough dry upside down until my hair is completely dry and then use GHDs to create loose curls. Either hold the straighteners vertically and curl the hair like you are curling ribbon with scissors or hold the straighteners horizontally and twist 180 degrees in alternate directions (there are a lot of YouTube videos on this out there if that makes no sense). Finish by spraying a tiny bit of hairspray on your hands and ruffling them through.

What are your best styling tips for lazy girls?
Share:

7 comments

  1. Your new hair really does look so lush Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely! I have similar length hair at the moment and I just leave it down and straight pretty much all the time! I need to try something different x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks so good Lily! I've never looked back since getting my hair cut into a long bob, and think I look really strange when I look back to photos where I have long hair. One thing I'm waiting for now is for my layers to grow out so I can go for a blunt update.

    - Lorna at Scared Toast x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still LOVE the short 'do on you! I've been tempted to chop mine off a la Taylor Swift too, but am also scared that HK hairdressers will get it wrong... >.< xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The GHD curls make me want to chop all my hair off but I'm a wimp. Ha!

    - Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your new hair-do looks absolutely gorgeous. I love how it frames your face so perfectly, and it definitely looks vibrant. I also love the different styles you showed, although the new one is still be my favorite. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing everything! Stay beautiful, Lily!

    Nathaniel Holt @ Detail Woman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new haircut Lily, it really suits you! All these shorter cuts are making me want to go for the chop but I'm too much of a wimp, if only a trip to the hairdressers wasn't so traumatic! x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig