Tuesday, 28 October 2014

A (Gaga) Weekend In The City

The clocks went back this weekend so it's now officially Winter Time. Boo. Although the first weekend of darker evenings wasn't too bad... Mummy Lipstick came to stay with me in London:


Friday morning = pre-work run. I'd forgotten how much I liked starting my day with an outdoor run - definitely a good antidote to a day inside in front of a computer. (Also I am running a half marathon soon and need to run whenever I'm not sleeping / working / being social and when it's not raining). I spotted these buses on the Thames Path. My inner child loves things like this... They are part of TFL's Year of the Bus.




Friday evening. Mummy Lipstick met me outside work and we headed to Pho at St Pauls for Vietnamese food - super tasty and super quick. Then after another bus sighting we went to see Gone Girl at the Barbican cinema. I'd finished reading the book earlier in the week and found it to be one of the few films I liked equally to the book, Mummy Lipstick had not read the book and was literally on the edge of her seat throughout.


Saturday was spent having breakfast at Workshop Coffee, exploring Upper Street and having afternoon tea at The Modern Pantry. But more on that soon...


Then it was time for Lady Gaga at the 02 (Mummy Lipstick's not a regular mom, she's a cool mom!). The show was amazing, I just wish I had 1% of Gaga's energy and body confidence. The costumes were amazing despite there being not much of them and the many wig changes were pretty impressive!


My attempt at Symmetry Breakfast in the Barbican food hall.


The Curve gallery at the Barbican to see the snappily titled A Partial Disassembling of an Invention Without a Future: Helter-Skelter and Random Notes in Which the Pulleys and Cogwheels Are Lying Around at Random All Over the Workbench.


Gingerbread Men for tea. Because this is the correct sort of man to be spending Sunday afternoon with.


Taking advantage of having a real adult around to help me carve my Halloween pumpkin. The mini ghost candle is from Waitrose.


Back to work on Monday morning with a new outfit founds in my wardrobe. I can't even remember when I bought this Banana Republic dress (similar) and jacket (similar) but its always nice to having a spot of "shopping amnesia" and find something new to wear.

Dark evenings? More free (or cheap) fun:

1. Miro / Calder / Dubuffet at Opera Gallery is a lovely bright and colourful exhibition (free entry).

2. The Barbican cinema does £6 "Monday Madness" screenings .

3. Drink Shop and Do have some fun craft nights (some are free) and do great cocktails to counteract the winter blues.

4. The Year of The Bus sculptures have three trails around London to explore.

5. The Curve gallery at the Barbican is free to get into and the Barbican centre itself is great to explore (and has free wifi).

6. The Lord Mayor's Show is on Saturday 8th November and will hopefully be drier than last year's - the parade is really fun and there's a fireworks display in the evening. And it's all free.

7. The Museum of London has free entry and is currently hosting a Sherlock Homes Exhibition (although this is ticketed.

8. I am giving away free tickets for the Foodies Festival here.




Share:

3 comments

  1. I spotted those buses last week and thought of you Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the jacket and photos. We're getting a Phone in Birmingham, I'm very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try The Modern Pantry!
    x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig