Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Glastonbury 2014 - Truly Epic

I've just got back from my first Glastonbury. My ears are still ringing and my entire body aches but I had the most amazing time I could have hoped for. Despite the thunderstorms which turned the entire site into a muddy mess after Friday afternoon and despite forgoing every home comfort imaginable (flushing toilets, a shower and a G&T with ice cubes now feel like the ultimate indulgences) I had an amazing time.

Glastonbury is a complete break from and antidote to real life - there are hundreds of thousands of people from all walks of life and (almost) anything goes. Popping to the loos at 8am (when they've just been cleaned) and passing someone swigging from a can of Strongbow seems totally normal. Dancing until sunrise in muddy wellies is far more fun than spending two hours getting ready for a big night out. And a £3 soya cappuccino tastes like the best money you'll have ever spent after spending 3 hours attempting to sleep on a tent floor while the party caries on around you.

I sung, danced, sunbathed, got soaked in several thunderstorms, went to a yoga class in a tent, meditated, crawled backwards on the floor to get into a bar, went for a run (on the first morning) and didn't stop smiling (even after a particularly horrifying long-drop experience). Glastonbury, you were truly epic.

Yes, there was mud. Sticky mud, slippery mud, wet mud... But it wouldn't have been Glastonbury without some.
Saturday morning sunrise at the Stone Circle after a night of dancing. The site is huge and seeing the sunrise over it was absolutely beautiful (a rare moment of quiet only interrupted by the sound of nitrous oxide canisters being set off every few seconds).
The Ribbon Tower in The Park (my landmark for finding my way back to the tent)
Helter-skelter in the Fields of Avalon. It's incredible how everything is built for the week of the festival - the non-permanence makes everything feel that more special, like you have to take everything in while you have the chance to do so.
The Glastonbury sign after Thursday's early morning run - jogging around the site with the running group felt like the most rebellious thing I did at Glastonbury (while being pointed and laughed at by festival goers enjoying their breakfast can of lager).
Arcade Fire on the Pyramid Stage on Friday night. An amazing set and my musical highlight.
Glastonbury has the most amazing selection of food. I defied this and ate falafel in some form every day - the falafel diet has to be the best one I've ever tried.
With ma girlz Sophie and Hannah during Manic Street Preachers on the Other Stage.
Dolly Parton on the Pyramid Stage.
My favourite view - the flags around the Other Stage in the sunshine. The media got a bit fixated on the mud but when the sun was out Worthy Farm was stunning.
Have you been to Glastonbury?




Share:

7 comments

  1. Glad you had a great time Lily!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a fantastic first time. I went back after a 9 year break (went 5 years in a row) and realised just how much I missed it. Glorious Glasto.
    Agree on the falafel, and I've come back with a tan so the rain couldn't have been that bad. And it ain't Glasto without some mud. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Glastonbury (and probably never will go) but it does look fun!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm that falafel looks so yummy! Your photos are great, I knew Glastonbury was a big festival but that last photo makes the scale look huge! o.o sooo many people!

    Kitsune x
    Yurei.co.uk
    Yurei.co.uk/vintage-burlesque-blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good time! It's definitely on my bucket list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glastonbury is one of my favourite festivals! I haven't been since I was younger, I am so sad to have missed the big badass - Dolly!

    ashleyfauguel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig