Sunday, 22 June 2014

Inspired By: Grace of Monaco

This week I was treated to a trip to the cinema to see Grace of Monaco. Despite the film getting a rather harsh critical reception at Cannes, I was curious to see it still as it features an impressive cast list and I knew I would love the styles and setting of Monaco.

The film focuses on Grace Kelly's life after she has had her fairytale wedding to Prince Rainier III (more on the stunning wedding and some interesting facts here) and is living in Monaco, away from her former life in Hollywood as a successful actress. Amid Monaco's political struggles with France, Grace receives a visit from Alfred Hitchcock in an attempt to convince her back into the movies. I did find it sometimes hard to feel sorry for Grace's supposed "struggle" in the film - despite it not being hard to believe that its not always "happy ever after" when one marries a prince.


The fashion and beauty was definitely my favourite part of the film - despite not being a princess, the styles are timeless and very accessible. While I may not have any imminent need for a ball gown (sadly), a flick of black liquid eyeliner and a pair of cat-eye sunglasses is a quick and easy nod to the look and I'm definitely taking inspiration for my working wardrobe from Grace's wide leg trousers and prim blouses. 1950s style midi-dresses are everywhere this season and are a perfect throwback to the era while still looking fresh and modern for summer events (if only we had Monaco's climate year-round). I've used an imaginary princess budget to put together a mood board for inspiration while I wait for a prince of my own...

Givency Silk Scarf, Sophia Webster t-bar pumps, Prism cat-eye sunglasses, Charlotte Tilbury liquid eyeliner,  Preen yellow midi-dress, Tibi pink midi-dress, Michael Kors white midi-dress - all from Net-a-Porter

Have you seen Grace of Monaco?

Share:

3 comments

  1. I definitely need to see this film - sounds like the fashion in particular is lovely.
    Love this selection of looks too - The pink dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love this style, so pretty and elegant!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig