Saturday, 26 April 2014

Tea at The Delaunay

The Delaunay and its big sister restaurant, The Wolseley, are amongst my favourite for a special occasion meal and I couldn't want to sample The Delaunay's afternoon tea for my friend S's birthday. Past brunches, lunches and dinners at The Delaunay have always been very good so I had high hopes for the afternoon tea, which happens to be pretty reasonable for London (and, I was told from a past visiter, comes with replenish-able sandwiches which is always a plus).


 My friend S and I opted for The Delaunay Viennese Tea. We chose the poppy seed Gugelhupf (which are wheat free fyi) rather than the traditional sc-own (scone). When booking we mentioned that we would want vegetarian sandwiches and requested this again when ordering. Despite that, we were first brought non-veggie sandwiches although they were quickly whisked away and replaced for some veggie ones.


I had a green tea and S had an Earl Grey. We had arrived at 3 so towards the end of the lunch hour but the restaurant was still very busy. Our teas were rather unceremoniously plonked on the table in front of us without the waiter telling us whose tea was whose - the service is usually so polite and attentive so I was quite shocked at this. Thankfully the service for the rest of the tea was better although I'm pretty sure that we were not served by the same waiter twice which detracts from the service points. Due to positive past experiences I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was a bad day.


The cakes were beautiful and a great mix between the traditional - an incredibly rich Sachertorte, a moist coffee cake and a mini chocolate tarte and the more innovative - a lemon macaroon, a very bright battenburg and a green tea and poppy seed cake (this one received mixed reviews from my tea companions but personally, I love anything green tea flavoured).


The vegetarian sandwich collection was good - more interesting than the usual cucumber and egg mayonnaise. It was nice to have a selection of breads and the rye bread added to the Austrian theme.


The poppy seed Gugelhupf were a nice alternative to scones - the little cakes were very moist and came with an apricot jam and clotted cream. They were served warm underneath a reflective dome.



H and S had the afternoon tea with the usual sandwiches and with scones which also looked lovely. We requested more of the sandwiches and the savories which appeared very quickly and our tea pots were topped up with hot water regularly. We were left to chat away without being rushed out (fortunate as there was a lot of food and chatting to get through) and our uneaten food was happily put into a rather cute Delaunay take-out box.

Where have you taken tea recently? 


Share:

9 comments

  1. Looks like smother place to add to my afternoon tea list!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I was lucky enough to have afternoon tea a couple of times in the past month, I could get into the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I was lucky enough to have afternoon tea a couple of times in the past month, I could get into the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gorgeous! This looks just wonderful, YUM YUM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went there for brunch once and loved it. I definitely need to go there for afternoon tea now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! Definitely one to pop on to my 'to visit' list
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds like heaven! I haven't had a proper afternoon tea and it's on my list of things to do.
    If you're paying for good service, it has to be expected, how disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This place looks delicious, wish I could go try it. Although...they replenish the sandwiches....sounds dangerous! haha.

    Hope you're having a lovely weekend :)

    Amelia @ Ducklingtoswan.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig