Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Mealtime for the Undomestic Goddess: Nandos Inspired

January is supposed to be the month of budgeting and healthy eating. I'm definitely not drinking a Diet Coke while I write this post...definitely not. I spent the weekend chez mes parents and decided to "help" my dad make the dinner. He's a great cook and although I can't say that I have inherited much flair or enthusiasm for cooking maybe this year I'll try to learn...

Nandos is a family guilty pleasure but our version is healthier, a little classier (home does not have bottomless fizzy drinks on tap) and is done in less than 30 minutes.

Nandos chicken, healthy slaw and green beans.
 To make the chicken:

1. Fry red onion, ginger and paprika until the onion is soft. Fry chicken breasts for two minutes on each side. Marinate in Nandos sauce first and add a bit more while they cook.

2. Transfer red onion mix and chicken to an oven proof dish - bake for 15 minutes, turning chicken over halfway through. Throw in some baby tomatoes when doing the halfway flip.

Ask adult to do complex things like use hob, oven and to check that the chicken is cooked properly.

While the chicken is cooking, make the slaw. I'm not the biggest fan of vegetables but this slaw is addictive and far healthier than the mayonnaise-laden shop bough stuff. Its also super easy to make:

1. Grate cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. No precise measurements needed - anything leftover will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

2. Finely chop gherkins and add to bowl. Leave out if you don't like them (obviously).

3.  Make dressing - one part mayonnaise to four parts natural yogurt. Mix everything together.


Daddy Bear portion. Cook some rice with a pinch of saffron to make it look pretty (and smell good). Use cookie cutters to get the rice and slaw in (almost) perfect circles.
Baby Bear portion. Steam some green beans in the last five minutes and add to the plates. Eat and feel smug about saving money and eating your veg without a Brusell sprout in sight.
What have you been cooking this January?
Share:

7 comments

  1. I've been SO bad in the kitchen lately. This looks lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuum! This looks so good. I definitely don't have a tomato craving right now... Nope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuuum! This looks so good. I definitely don't have a tomato craving right now... Nope...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy!
    I featured your rillakuma cupcakes in my last link roundup, I love your recipes!

    http://www.thelittlebrunette.com/2014/01/link-roundup-bad-alcohol-geeky-knick.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I love nandos but haven't been in ages. Your pic has also made me fancy some coleslaw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely! I have been making a lot of soup recently, it's too cold to eat much else!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig