Tuesday, 31 December 2013

2013 - Year In Review

I don't even know where to start with this year. A lot happened. It was (mostly) pretty good. Here's my year seen through the "trends" of 2013...

It was the year of the selfie and no occasion is now an inappropriate one to take a picture of yourself.
Edinburgh airport.Tartan and Prada sunglasses.
Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin.
The Rain Room, The Barbican. We don't have enough rain in England so in January I queued for 3 hours to see it rain inside.
The Peak, Hong Kong. So much mist.
Playa de las Americas, Tenerife.
Combining a selfie with another 2013 trend - pink hair. No longer reserved for My Little Pony and the singer, Pink, its now acceptable for adults to have rainbow coloured hair. Loved my month with pink hair.
Food trends in 2013:

Everyone still likes burgers, probably because they're pretty damn good. Personal best of 2013? Patty & Bun.
Five Guys opened in London. We can now enjoy Mr Obama's favourite burger for double the price! Shake Shack opened around the corner. Both still have crazy queues.
Move over, cupcakes (never was keen on you anyway). The cronut came to London in August - these are from Rinkoffs. Then Greggs made one and they their five minutes of fame is now well and truly over.
Arrested Development returned to our screens. Skip's Scramble was duly re-created to eat while watching the entire series in one go.
We still ate macarons. €1.80 per mouthful from Angelina's, Paris.
Everyone went crazy over the Great British Bake Off. I'll have my slice of cake with a slice of sexism, please. I baked a battenburg cake (with a lot of assistance from my friend P) and it was the most stressful thing I've ever done. Resisting the urge to make any reference to a fallen from grace TV chef here.
A large amount of 2013 was spent photographing and instagramming our food rather than just eating it. Here, slutty brownies get the social media treatment.
We actually had a summer in 2013. Everyone was nicer to one another when they weren't complaining. I got sunburned in Kent and actually wore my summer clothes.
London melting in 30 degree heat. The view from Duck & Waffle. When the sun shines in London, in the words of Lily Allen: wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
A building in the City, The Walkie Talkie Scorchie, created a patch of intense heat. The pavement melted, everyone freaked out.
A Tumblr blog started the "Hot Dog Legs" trend. A new way to brag that you are on holiday. In Madrid by the pool.
Hot dog legs in Marbella.
Who knows what 2014 will bring. Here's to eating all the trendy food, taking pictures of ourselves and doing whatever else suddenly becomes acceptable next year. Thanks to everyone who ate burgers with me, jet-setted around the globe with me and listened to my constant enthusing and complaining about absolutely everything. And thank you to you, dear reader, for reading this. Without this little blog and the amazing people I've met through it I wouldn't have half of these memories and probably wouldn't know what a cronut is (and how my life would be the poorer for it).

Happy New Year! xxx
Share:

6 comments

  1. Lol Lily this post just cracked me up. Especially the phrase 'Then Greggs made one and they their five minutes of fame is now well and truly over.'
    LOL
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I want to go on lots of holidays this year too - your travels all looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha loved the selfies! Sounds like you had a great year, I need to eat more burgers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha loved the selfies! Sounds like you had a great year, I need to eat more burgers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha loved the selfies! Sounds like you had a great year, I need to eat more burgers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope 2014 is even better for you lovely lady! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig