Monday, 25 November 2013

Weekend Brunch: The Modern Pantry

Brunch is fast becoming my favourite weekend activity. Meeting friends for brunch makes me feel like I'm a proper grown-up and what better start to the day is there than catching up with friends over coffee and two-meals-in-one indulgence? During the week breakfast is usually a quick bowl of porridge at my desk so its nice to be able to relax and savour the most important meal of the day and there are so many options whether you fancy something sweet, savory, virtuous or naughty (you can probably guess which option is more likely).

I'd heard a lot about The Modern Pantry in Clerkenwell and finally managed to find a day when my friends P and P were both free to sample its brunch offerings. The Modern Pantry is quite small so booking in advance is definitely advisable - it was packed the entire time we were there with quite a mixed crowd of City-types, yummy mummies and family catch-ups. We sat upstairs overlooking St John's Square and a sunny November day outside.


A "long black" with soya milk on the side to start for me.
Strawberry smoothie and a hot chocolate for my friends.
Ricotta pancakes with berries. These looked so good and give me an excuse to re-visit to try them. The menu warns of a 20 minute wait for them but I don't think it took this long (or we were just chatting a lot and the time flew by).
Prawn omlette with sourdough toast. Look at that escapee prawn.
For me, brunch is usually egg-based - I love perfectly poached eggs. These are with spinach, halloumi and gluten free toast (I'm not gluten free but was just curious to try it).
I'd definitely recommend The Modern Pantry for weekend brunch - we all thought the food was amazing and the prices are reasonable. We were asked to pay up and pass our table on to other diners after two hours which does sometimes annoy me but the restaurant was packed and by this point it was well into lunchtime - maybe book for a bit earlier if you want to linger a little longer.

What's your favourite brunch dish?
Share:

6 comments

  1. Those pancakes look perfection!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely on my list!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brunch looks perfect, give me any meal with halloumi and I am THERE!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pancakes and sourdough toast look amazing! I do like some good pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks UNREAL!!

    franleanne.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig