Thursday, 17 October 2013

The Wedding Guest

Weddings. A "what to wear" dilemma if ever there was one. I don't think it will ever get easier deciding what to wear to them as each wedding seems to present its own sartorial challenges - churches, outdoor ceremonies, and, horror of horrors, having to walk on grass. Add to that the usual rules of not upstaging the bride, not wearing white and not wearing something that any of the guests have seen you in before (well, maybe that's just my rule) and there is definitely a changing room meltdown waiting to happen. And you're entirely forgiven if and when it does because it really is all just a little bit stressful. 

Also it might help to try not to think about how easy it is for men to dress for weddings (because no one will know or care if they wear the same suit twice) and maybe try to avoid a situation on the morning of the wedding where you have to wash your hair with liquid handsoap because you forgot that Premier Inns don't provide mini Molton Brown toiletries (living and learning). Oh, and maybe try to remember that you're actually there to celebrate a couple making vows of love and commitment and that, really, no one really cares what you're wearing and by the time you're a few drinks down on the dancefloor you won't either. 

My friends D and P got married a few weeks ago in the countryside on what was the last weekend of proper summer weather which has got to be a good omen for married life, not that they need it because they are the most perfect couple ever. I'd picked out my dress in the Whistles sale back in August as I had never worn a long, formal-ish dress before and so this felt like a more justified purchase than yet another cocktail dress. It wasn't the easiest to walk in but I did feel a little more like a put together grown up than I usually do (at least before the drinks and dancefloor part). 




Dress: Whistles; Shoes: M&S (old but the only ones I had that were high enough for the dress but that I can actually walk/stand in); Ring: YSL. Photo credits go to my friend L for patiently taking these.
Wedding season is probably over now until next year but what are your top tips for perfect wedding guest attire?
Share:

5 comments

  1. Looks like I need to keep an eye on the whistles sale. What a stunning dress!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh you look beautiful Lily! That colour looks amazing on you and I love the details. Swooning at Whistles as always. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is so gorgeous! I love the colour and style on you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely beautiful here!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this can be quite the decision sometimes, but this looks great!

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig