Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Flesh & Buns

One of the best things about dining with fellow bloggers (sparkling conversation aside) is being able to take lots of photos without feeling like an idiot. While my non-internet friends know about my blog I still find it a bit weird snapping away at the food when I know that they probably want to just eat it (an entirely normal response to having a plate of food in front of you) and sometimes its nice to not be in "blogger mode". Michelle, Hannah and I headed to the new-ish Flesh & Buns in Covent Garden - its from the same team behind Bone Daddies so I was excited to try it and we definitely took advantage of the blogger company to photograph everything in sight.

We turned up sans booking, as is the way these days only to be told that most of the tables were, well, booked. Note to selves for next time. We got seats at the bar but were quickly moved to a long table running the length of the restaurant. I have mixed feelings about communal tables - it definitely gave Flesh & Buns a good atmosphere and the chance to peek at what other diners were eating but does make the restaurant quite noisy. Not one for an intimate date then (just in case you were thinking of taking me on one - obviously you still can but just saying that this may not be the ideal venue). 

Starting with a Diet Coke.The cocktail menu did look tempting but it was a school night.
We ordered a couple of hot plates to start with. The soft shell crab was amazing.
Prawn tempura, my favourite.
Then onto the main event - the flesh (we chose the duck leg).
And the buns. You can order more buns depending on how many of you there are. You also get lettuce to make lettuce wraps with the rest of the meat.
Assembling my own fleshy bun. Next time I definitely want to try the chicken katsu flesh and buns - I had such food envy when the diners next to us got theirs.
Green tea s'mores for dessert. Complete with our own fire to toast the marshmallows on. For those of you unfamiliar with s'mores, you toast the marshmallow until its golden and melty and then sandwich it between the green tea crackers.
And eat. The perfect ending to the meal, albeit a bit of a sickly one - definitely one for sharing.
I will be heading back to Flesh & Buns to try the rest of the menu and the cocktails. The food was so good and the service was super speedy. Flesh & Buns isn't cheap - it came to around £26 each for the food we shared but its something different and definitely worth paying a bit above the average chain restaurant for.
 
Have you tried Flesh & Buns?
Share:

5 comments

  1. This looks great, I'm always looking for places to eat that are a bit different so this is on the list.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my list forever - i think you should take me Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dream Team outing soon please!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my to-go list, but somehow can never seem to fit it in. Take me with you next time?

    - Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place sounds amazing! I have queuing for a table though - will definitely make sure I book!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig