Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Theatre Season - Summer 2013

Living in London means that there's no excuse not to take advantage of all the amazing plays and musicals. I never used to be a big theatre fan but over the last couple of years I've grown to love trips to the theatre - from the booking of tickets months in advance (I've just booked to see Jude Law in Henry V in January!) to pre-theatre dinners, nothing beats a night at the theatre. Tickets can be expensive but I always keep my eyes open for special deals and day tickets (weeknight performances often have spare tickets, especially later in a performance's season).

Summer 2013 has been a good one, this is what I've seen:


When I heard that Kim Cattrall was performing in London this summer, I knew I had to go. I'm a huge fan of hers (she is by far my favourite SATC actress). I saw Tennessee Williams' Cat on a Hot Tin Roof a couple of years ago (with James Earl Jones and Adrian Lester) and loved it so had high hopes for this. While the start of the play was a little slow, it really picked up in the second half and Kim Cattrall definitely proved her acting talent. The play was written in the 1950s but the themes of aging and women in the spotlight are as relevant now as they was then, if not more so. I love the Old Vic theatre, it feels like being in someone's house and being a little way out of "Theatreland" there are some good restaurants nearby.

I can't remember how long ago I got tickets for Book of Mormon. Late last year there was a huge amount of frenzy about this show so I knew I had to see it. I'm not usually a big fan of musicals but this is pretty...different. Storyline aside, the singing and dancing are amazing - its often easy to overlook it though as the plot and crude humour are pretty distracting. Probably not one to see with your parents but it was funny, if you've watched South Park or Team America you probably know what to expect! Being in Leicester Square, keep up the American theme with a pre or post theatre burger feast at Five Guys or Shake Shack in Covent Garden.

Having seen Adrian Lester in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and being a big fan of Hustle, this was another play I knew I had to see. I'm gradually getting into Shakespeare - I loved Michael Sheen in Hamlet at the Young Vic but have found some other Shakespeare plays a little more challenging (and, dare I say it, a little boring). Othello is one of the more accessible Shakespeare plays, I think. The modern military setting of this production and issues that the characters face of race, trust and jealously seemed modern despite the Shakespearean language. The play was intense - and quite violent - with amazing acting from Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear. This was my first visit to the National Theatre and it definitely wins in terms of comfortable seats and a good view. The NT Propstore bar is great for a post-theatre drink.
If the stars of the play were factors in me booking Sweet Bird of Youth and Othello, the lead role in The Cripple of Inishmaan was definitely the main draw in seeing this. Daniel Radcliffe plays a role far more challenging than Harry Potter - a cripple with a strong Irish accent. His acting skills held up well in the lead role (although his accent did slip back into "Hogwarts" a couple of times but I'll forgive that) and the play was darkly funny. Martin McDonagh wrote In Bruges so expect a similar sort of dark comedy (and a lot of Irish accents - it took me a while to tune in to what the characters were saying). Just by Leicester Square station so have fun dodging the tourists!

What was the last show you saw?
Share:

4 comments

  1. I really want top see the Book of Mormon, they reviews are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin McDonagh is such a fantastic playwright. Glad you enjoyed Othello!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Bird of Youth was AMAZING! I was front row and all I want is to go back, but it closes before I come back. BOO!!!!

    And I may or may not have been to see The Cripple of Innishman twice... Oops! Can't wait to see the rest of the series of productions at the Noel Coward - YES, that's a hint for you to come queue with me...

    -Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very jealous of you seeing Othello! I'm desperate to see it - especially with Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear!

    I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream at The Globe for my birthday in June - it was amazing, you should definitely go if you get the chance! And I'm off to Sound of Music in Regent's Park on Monday - just praying it doesn't get rained off!

    Becks xo
    thenotsosecretdiary.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig