Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Fashionably Fit

Despite having near phobia of games lessons as a child, exercise is now a huge part of my life and something that I cannot imagine not doing. Three years ago I started running and since then I've ran in two 5k races, seven 10k races and I'm currently training for my first half marathons (Run To The Beat on 8th September and Royal Parks on 6th October). Running is not something that I am amazing at but it's something I genuinely enjoy, it's my "me-time" and, as someone who works in an office and spends the rest of my free time hunched over a laptop blogging and watching Netflix, a chance to, quite literally, "stretch my legs". I run along the Thames path and never tire of the London sights, especially when backlit by the rising sun as they have been recently on my morning runs (I occasionally Instagram snaps while I run which also gives me a convenient excuse to have a little rest). 

When I started out, I didn't really give any thought to what I wore to workout. I had a pair of trainers from my school days and some Primark joggers which might have cut it for 10 minute jogs around the block but once I started running longer distances, I knew I needed some proper kit. Investing in a good pair of trainers is essential to protect your feet and your joints while you run and having a good running kit means that you'll not only feel more confident as you pound the pavements but be able to take advantage of the "clever fabrics" that sports clothes are made of. Check out the range of Nike Frees for some trainer inspiration - buying new trainers becomes just as exciting as buying heels.

I'm not an expert when it comes to kit but compiling a good basic exercise wardrobe isn't difficult and doesn't have to be costly. Sports Direct is great for a bargain (the first time I saw Sports Direct on my credit card statement I thought for a moment that my card had been stolen, its somewhere I never dreamed I would shop in my pre-running days) and Forever 21 has some great, bright, budget-friendly pieces. A sports bra is an essential for obvious reasons. You can retain your love of style while doing sport but you do have to give up a certain degree of vanity - I don't wear make-up when I work out as its nice to give my skin a break and sweat plus make-up is hardly going to do your skin any favours (if you're not sweating than you're not working hard enough so get used to it!).  It's easy to feel self-conscious when exercising but at the end of the day, everyone else at the gym or out running is thinking of themselves and not what you look like so spend more of your focus on just enjoying it and getting on with your workout rather than stressing about what you look like.







Sports bra: M&S, Cropped top: Primark, Trousers: Forever 21, Sports socks: Primark, Nike Frees c/o Sportshoes.co.uk

My first outdoor pictures taken with my tripod. No one even gave me a second look as I stood by the Millennium Bridge snapping these - proof of the above, I think.

What do you wear to workout?
Share:

19 comments

  1. I love the pop of colour in your workout gear. I love Nike fitness where but recently I've been eyeing up Sweaty Betty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Sweaty Betty, I don't like things with too many logos on but I love some bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shoes! I think I need to invest in some Nike Free. Probably the black and coral variety too. Hey, you said I could stay stylish while working out, so why not? ; )

    -Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute work out outfit.

    I used to wear baggy t-shirts when I first started going to the gym. But now I like wearing fashionable workout gear. It makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work out outfit is amazing. I love those shoes so much too.
    I'm in definite need of working out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look great, so glad i found your blog :) Well done on the running, I did 5k tonight in 35 mins! SO SLOW! But i'm working on it haha! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man if I had work out gear like yours I would WANT to work out more.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trainers are epic! I am still working on liking running, but I have to admit cute work out clothes definitely helps me get up and go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel bad, I never exercise! I was really active when i was younger (even though i disliked games/PE lessons at school too!). Maybe I should start by investing in some funky trainers and I'll be inspired to get fit! I need to start exercising!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your trainers! I always find if you have nice sports kit then you're more likely to want to exercise :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive! I know i should exercise more, but just the idea of fitness makes me feel a little ill. haha! should definitely battle through it though and look after my health :) www.clashingtime.blogspot.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. The 'me time' one can get from running is so important. Good luck for Run to The Beat - I hear it's a really fun event! I've run a couple of halfs but suffer from rubbish feet (read: blisters) so I think 10k-10mile races suit me better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wish i had some of your motivation! i think i'd feel silly running though as i'd probably fall over haha, might try cycling instead!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc

    ps. check out my new giveaway to win a Chanel cream blush! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you took the tripod and used it at such a busy location! Well done on all the running - I am super unfit and don't do any exercise so you are putting me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice workout gear. Kudos to you for getting to run your first half marathon.

    Oh to Be a Muse
    Shop Layered Muse

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute shoes!! You go girl!!

    Jessica
    minor ducats major closet

    Check out the fashions we spotted at the Lancaster Craft Beerfest this weekend!!
    http://minorducatsmajorcloset.blogspot.com/2013/09/lancaster-craft-beerfest.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wear standard black leggings (although I have a pink and blue pairs for cheering me up!) and a workout tee - it varies. But I see that wearing colourful puts me into a better working-out mood. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look amazing. I love your running shoes.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig