Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Hello, Heatwave!

So, it's really hot outside. My flat feels like living inside an oven and sweating is now a constant state rather than something reserved for my morning runs. But, I'm not complaining. I am 100% a summer person and have to keep reminding myself in moments of meltdown that this is definitely my favourite time of year.

I've enjoyed observing Londoners take advantage of the hot weather to "experiment" with their styles. While I won't be seen spending my office lunchbreak in a bra and pencil skirt (colleague bonding gone too far?) or walking across Tower Bridge in a bikini (the beach is about 30 miles down river) it is a chance to wear something a little different from my usual uniform of dress and cardigan/blazer/coat.

Top- Topshop; Skirt - Topsho. Need to tidy up my magazine pile.
Watch - ASOS, Bracelets - souvenirs from 90s holidays to Spain, Nails - Barry M Nail Effects in Ridley Road with a Misguided turquoise polish on the half moons

I bought this crop top back in March, when summer clothes had just hit the highstreet and I was already dreaming of hot sunny days in the park while still wearing 100 denier tights and a coat. Buying it cheered me up for five minutes and then it was consigned to my "tops" drawer, which rarely gets opened these days as I pretty much only wear dresses.

The heatwave saw me digging it out, partly due to having worn all of my dresses during the last two weeks. Crop tops remind of me of the mid-90s and desperately wanting to wear one to look like Sporty Spice (but probably not being allowed to). I don't think I have bared my stomach in public since those days so it took a while to feel "me" wearing this, I'm not usually one for bare flesh of any sort.  An unexpected advantage of being short is that a cropped top is never going to actually be that cropped so it wasn't as revealing as I feared. Extra modestly can be preserved by teaming it with a high waisted like this Topshop denim number.

Have you braved a crop top yet?
Share:

6 comments

  1. Wow, you look so pretty honey, I love the skirt and top <3

    Latest look:http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/2013/07/red-stripes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cropped top, but you know me, it's the friendship bracelets I'm after!

    -Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fab! Love the colour of the top!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig