Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Battenburg Cake

I've mentioned before about my forays into the world of baking. I'm quite a newbie to it all but do enjoy a good challenge so when BakingMad.com asked me to try a recipe from their site I couldn't wait to get baking (and eating). I enlisted the help of my friend P (and his kitchen) and we started thinking of ideas for a spot of summer baking. I wanted to keep things simple with scones (surely everyone knows how to make scones?) or a cupcake recipe but P thought that we should make use of the marzipan that I was kindly sent and make battenburg cake. We adapted this recipe, substituting the cocoa and vanilla for strawberry flavouing and blue colour creator from my selection of goodies to give it our own spin.

I'm not going to lie; battenburg cake is very hard to make. It took a lot of time, involved a few scary moments when it looked like it was all about to go horribly wrong and required patience and skill in levels that I do not possess. But...it was fun (when I wasn't freaking out about it all going horribly wrong) and it ended up looking and, most importantly, tasting good. I did say that I liked a challenge:

How to make battenburg. You'll need a recipe, ingredients and your entire evening.
1. Dividing the baking tray into two halves in order to cook the two sponges.

2. Mixing the ingredients. This was the easy part. Mix, divide into two bowls, add colour and flavour to one and leave the other half plain.

3. Bake. Watch Arrested Development while waiting. Allow to cool. Go to buy food while cake cools as realise that this isn't going to be ready until after 9pm at least.

4. Assembly. Do not despair at uneven and crumbling cake. Butter icing and some neatening up will sort it all out. Promise. Trim off excess marzipan and eat it because you have earned it for your efforts.

5. Finished. Marvel at your creation. Take lots of pictures.

6. Eat. Wrap uneaten slices up for giving to friends to impress with your baking skills or for saving for later for when the inevitable sugar crash comes.

What's the most difficult thing you have baked?

Small print: I was sent the baking goodie bag c/o BakingMad.com, all opinions and baking "skills" are my own.
Share:

5 comments

  1. I am very impressed Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm I love Batternburg, I so would like to eat a slice now! your attempt looks amazing xx

    Danielle || Miss Sunshine & Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what kind of cake this is, but it sounds good and looks good! I want to try it now. The most difficult thing I've ever made was a Kiev Cake.

    Mabel
    Life of Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Battenburg but I don't know anyone who has attempted making it so bravo!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried Battenburg cake before but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig