Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Summer Reading List

One of the best things about not being a student is having the time and inclination to read for pleasure. I love reading and the opportunity to read whatever I choose to slightly cushions the blow of not having three months off for summer and being able to wear purple lipstick to lectures.

1. First Aid Kit Girl, Lynsey Rose

Lynsey is a fellow blogger and Bright Eyes fan so when she published her first book I had to buy it. First Aid Kit Girl is, in Lynsey's own words, for anyone who has ever wanted to kill everyone they work with. A dark comedy with a really strong narrative voice. I bought this in hard copy as it's not available on Kindle.

2. Inferno, Dan Brown

The latest instant "bestseller" from Dan Brown. I read this on my Kindle as its only out in hardback at the moment (not because I care about people judging my literary choices, I read Fifty Shades in paperback I'll have you know). While this isn't literary magic (see below), it is fast-paced and entertaining. Not ashamed to say I loved this.

3. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

I rarely re-read books (something to do with having a photographic-ish memory makes it seem tedious) but after seeing the film I had to re-read this again to remind myself how much I loved it the first time. It's beautifully written and perfectly sums up the pace of the Jazz Age and the magic of NYC. (FYI, this book is free on iBooks app).

4. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

My bookclub selected this as its "classic" book for summer. I can't wait to read it and discuss it. Bookclub is one of the few things in life where I feel like a proper grown up.

5. Fragrant Harbour, John Lanchester

I loved Capital by the same author and recently visited Hong Kong so this seemed like a logical purchase when on my last Kindle spree. 

6. Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Another bookclub choice for modern fiction. I've heard good things about this book and can't wait to read something written by a strong female voice.

What's on your summer reading list?
Share:

5 comments

  1. I'm in a book club and I love it. Brave new World is one of my favourite books. I recommend The Night Circus. It is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to disconnect and read the new Dan Brown. A few books in your list that I haven't heard of, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just finished shool in april for good and im am finally realizing i have so much time for so MANY things. including, reading for pleasure. exciting times ahead!

    Isabel @ Walk of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the Great Gatsby a few nights back, now I'm desperate to read the book! So excited to be done with my exams, so I can chill out with a good book! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading and once I find a fav I will read it again and again. The First Aid Kit sounds so good and I love that it was written by a blogger! xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig