Monday, 17 June 2013

Stop Spending Start Reinventing

During my teenage years, customisation was a big deal - my issues of Just Seventeen and Sugar always seemed to have tips of how to customise your clothes. I managed to make denim skirts from old pairs of jeans to varying degrees of success and loved playing fashion designer and making a grand old mess in the process.

On a rainy afternoon, I decided to have a go at customising a t-shirt that I haven't worn for a while - less potentially wallet-damaging than browsing ASOS.
You will need: an oversized tshirt, needles and thread (hotel sewing kits are ideal), a lipliner or pale eyeliner for marking the fabric, lace/ribbon/anything decorative lying around. I cut these collars off of old t-shirts - I'm a terrible hoarder and always think that things like this will come in useful one day.

Step 1: Use the lipliner to mark where you will be cutting. Cut the bottom and sleeves off of the t-shirt. Don't worry about it being too perfect.
Step 2: Place lace collar on t-shirt. When happy, pin in place.
Step 3: The hardest part. Sew the lace collar onto the t-shirt.
Done!

Have you ever attempted to customise anything?
Share:

6 comments

  1. I'm very impressed Lily!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so snazzy! Well done!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cutest idea, lace is always a win and this is so much better than spending lots of money on new stuff xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I'd love to be able to do this. I have tried to customise clothes before but it's always ended badly hah. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea, I've recently got back into my sewing and used to make quite a lot of my own clothes and customise them. Definitely inspired me. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing, wish I was crafty!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig