Monday, 24 June 2013

Gin and Tonic

I love a good G&T. On a summer's evening there really is nothing better than relaxing with a cold G&T but I'd never really thought before what actually goes into it (aside from gin and tonic, of course) and how the drink came about.

I was very excited to be invited to a Bombay Sapphire workshop in the Hoxton Hotel's Apartment. The Apartment was the perfect setting - if only my own apartment was half as spacious and stylish I'd be a happy girl. From the bookcases full of actual books, the jars of sweets and boxes of cereals Sophie and I felt like we had gatecrashed someone's crib.

A welcoming glass of G&T (which I was terrified I would spill but very glad to report that I didn't) and some canapes and The Apartment was already starting to feel a bit more like home.
A few bottles of Bombay Sapphire make a guest appearance on the bookcase.
Sam, the G&T expert (surely the best job description ever), taught us about the origins of G&T and the different types of gin (there are four). Bombay Sapphire's recipe dates from 1761 and although the exact ingredients are a closely guarded secret it contains ten botanicals that give it is unique flavour. Sam gave us samples of each to smell/taste - I loved the cassia bark which smells like Christmas and was less keen on the Angelic Root which Sophie correctly identified as smelling "like a charity shop". I had no idea that so many different natural ingredients went into a G&T.
It was then time to create our own bespoke G&T infusion. Two cabinets held these Harry Potter-esque jars of infused gin, the flavours ranging from super sweet pink pear drops to a rather grown-up sounding raisin and rosemary.
Predictably, I opted for the pear drops, a splash of lemon tonic water and a garnish of more pear drops.This tasted very different from a regular gin and tonic - it was far sweeter.
The toppings bar.
And a goodie bag of gin treats - I can't wait to use my balloon glass although I may need to purchase some more tonic to get through the rest of the bottle of gin.
The Perfect G&T 

To make the perfect G&T is easy:

1. Fill your glass with ice. Swirl ice around and drain off the excess water.

2. Add 50ml of gin. No need to mess around with measuring devices as one second of pouring = 10ml. So pour for five seconds and you're done.

3. Top up with 100ml of tonic water. We used Fever Tree at the workshop which is made from natural ingredients and complements the botanicals in the gin.

4. Add a wedge of lime.

5. Drink.

Are you a gin and tonic fan?
Share:

4 comments

  1. I love a good G&T. It's definitely my drink of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can't beat a good G&T, it's always my tipple of choice too!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. G&T was my drink of choice for ages, until I overdid it one night. Now I just drink wine. I would love to go to that event, though :)

    Mabel
    Life of Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what an experience asif there is all those ingredients!!

    Beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk

    Lx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig