Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Get me to the church on time

My friend I recently married her boyfriend, J. I is a school friend of mine so I stayed chez mes parents for the weekend and enlisted my mother for lift duties. I also got her involved in some blog photography on her new iPad mini:
Dress: H&M, Jacket: ASOS; Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs, Shoes: Rocket Dog via Tk Maxx, Nails: Bourjois Grenadine Tonic
The first thing I think upon receiving a wedding invite (besides "I'm so old") is "what am I going to wear?" Wedding dressing is a complete minefield. Don't upstage the bride (difficult given that I am not prone to wearing white maxi dresses), don't accidentally match the bridesmaids' dresses, don't wear black (pretty obvious) and find something that is both church and party appropriate. I'm not a huge fan of the typical "wedding guest" offerings that seem to fill department stores at this time of year - while I am old enough for my friends to be getting married, I don't want to dress like a 40 year-old, I don't want to wear a hat and nor do I want to spend a weeks' wages on a dress that I may never wear again.

This H&M number is formal enough for a wedding but still "me". Every blogger and their dog seems to have this ASOS boucle blazer (no, it doesn't really come in a dog version but that would look good, right?). I love the fluro orange as unlike a lot of "wedding guest cover-ups" I will actually wear it again casually - I do wish I had gone a size down but I was lazy about sending it back and I'm hoping it will shrink a little in the wash.

The day was perfect; the amazing weather, the beautiful old church, the tear-inducing speeches and - the best part - the dancing into the night in celebration of Mr and Mrs S's brand new marriage.

Are you going to any weddings this summer?

Share:

8 comments

  1. Love the colour of that dress on you! I don't have any weddings unfortunately, I love going to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love how you managed to dress for the occaision and still stayed true to your style!

    www.whitehotnoise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful in blue Lily x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with that colour blue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your friend. Love your dress. Its such a perfect wedding look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your friends, you look lovely here, I adore the blazer with the dress!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday but my dilemma is doubled by the fact im 9 months pregnant and have no maternity wedding appropriate clothes! What do I do, wear black and hope noone judges me or buy a new dress that I will literally only wear once! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe funny you say that as I have the same jacket! Love it! Agree on getting a size down though, I'm somehow ended up with two because of that but missed the deadline for sending the bigger one back. Woops! Love it paired with skinny jeans or shorts :) The dress looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig