Sunday, 19 May 2013

A weekend in Yorkshire

I am most definitely a London girl but every now and then it's nice to take a break from the rainy (although that could apply to anywhere in the UK), busy and rather overpriced city I call home. I spent last weekend in Yorkshire welcoming the sight of fields, cows and country pubs rather than traffic, moody commuters and a Starbucks on every corner. It still rained, mind.

My parents and I stayed in a lovely B&B in Beverley (website here). My room was so homely and had lots of quirky touches. Sleeping next to a bookcase of All England Law Reports was an experience I thought I'd left behind now that my days of taking naps in the university library have long passed.
Dinner in a local restaurant. I couldn't remember the last time I had had pizza and was running 10k the next day so this definitely was allowed.
Pre-run breakfast of museli, yogurt and fruit. Breakfasts on weekends away are my favourite thing ever. My parents tucked in to full English breakfasts for fuel to watch me run 10k. Funny how that works.
A slightly less saintly breakfast option.
My Beverley 10k medal. I did it in 1:05 so Mo Farrah isn't going to be worried but I think that's a personal record for me. The weather manged to stay nice for the race and only rained once we were in the pub afterwards, thanks English weather!
The table ready for breakfast the next morning. Parents under strict instructions not to touch anything until the photo has been taken. I loved the China and the range of homemade jams.
Selfie in the hall mirror. Dress is from Primark.
Smoked salmon omlette. So good.
We paid a visit to Betty's tea room in Harrogate to escape from the weird weather - hail stones and gale force winds one moment, bright sunshine the next.
My parents both ordered the famous Fat Rascal. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A FACE!
Teas and coffees all round.
I had a sultana scone with a huge portion of jam.
A moment of sunlight and a photo opportunity before we left to make the trip back Down South.
Have you been to Yorkshire?
Share:

8 comments

  1. I live in Yorkshire and the weather you described is a daily occurrence. You can't beat the North! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Yorkshire :) Actually I was born in Harrogate. Betty's is an old favourite of mine. Your post has made me miss home a lot!

    Good job on the run, I couldnt do that in double the time I don't think!

    Amelia @ Ducklingtoswan.com! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a fab time!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks like the perfect weekend! I must make an effort to try and have more weekend breaks like this :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to see this post as I live in Hull! (Not a bad place, contrary to popular belief. Stay near the marina, visit the Deep, the museums, old historic town and nice restaurants!)

    I was actually hoping to run that 10k but unfortunately for me it's exam season! :/ Hurrah for your personal best though!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Yorkshire but from these photos I'd love to visit :) ! I find 'country-breaks' really important throughout the year - whilst I love London I do sometimes find it a bit too much and need just a weekend with some peace to recuperate... Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the run- I can't imagine running further than up or down the stairs so I am in awe! Your weekend away sounds absolutely lovely and the hotel looks beautiful !xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool
    Tweet me! @othersideofcool

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is amazing, what a lovely place to stay :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig