Thursday, 18 April 2013

Travel Journal: Hong Kong

I recently came back from a trip to Hong Kong and Taipei. First up: Hong Kong. Hong Kong is somewhere that I've always wanted to visit and just thought that I would do "one day" as its a common stop-over destination. My original plan to go to Taipei for a weekend basically turned into a slightly longer break (it's quite a long way away) and the chance to visit two cities. I have friends working in HK so had the days to myself to explore and the evenings to catch up with them and go to the restaurants they had discovered - perfect!

Day 1: My first of many HK views. Who cares if you've arrived on the 7am flight and managed about 10 minutes of sleep when there's a whole new city to explore?
A steep walk down to SoHo. Attempted to get my bearings and take in everything as they'd be no one to show me around the next day. Luckily Hong Kong is really easy to get around and everyone speaks English. We then hopped on the MTR for all you can eat sushi at the CityGate mall. I took the "all you can" part very seriously.

Cable Car on Lantau Island. We got this back to HK island after a visit to the giant buddha, just as the sun was setting and then went for traditional Chinese food in Central.


The Big Buddha.

Day 2: Riding the escalator to Central. Taking a selfie and listening to my iPod. First stop was Starbucks for much-needed caffeine and to plan my day. Next up: Star Ferry, bird garden, flower market and a wander back to TST.

Mystery fruits on Nathan Road. Grateful if someone could tell me what the shiny red fruits are.

Fake Mulbz in the Ladies' Market. I love bargains so the ladies market was fun for picking up tourist tat and seeing a range of fakes of varying authenticity.

Back to TST in time for the light show before dinner on Knutsford Terrace.

Day 3. Took the tram up to The Peak. It was raining. The view at first was about 1m in front of me, I sat in a cafe reading Facebook statuses about Margaret Thatcher. Sometimes this is my only appropriate response to Real Life.

Once the rain had cleared.

Back on the tram and off to Stanley beach. A lovely break from the bright lights of the city and the sun did eventually make an appearance!

I went for a walk and visited a temple and a monastry.

Hopped on the bus back to Central for a quick Chanel pilgrimage. Last HK supper was at Din Tai Fung to sample their famous dumplings and say farewell to my HK-based friends. I loved the city and would definitely return (partly for the food!). There really is something for everyone in HK and it'd be impossible to get bored. Next stop: Taipei!
Have you been to Hong Kong?
Share:

8 comments

  1. Yes, I went to Hong Kong last year. Theres a series of posts about it on my blog. I love it! Such a great city. Looks like you had a great time there too :)


    Amelia @ Ducklingtoswan.com! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily it looks absolutely fantastic!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dear I really like your blog! What about following each other? Also on bloglovin, facebook and even on Lookbook if you want...just let me know :3 <3


    NEW POST ON MY BLOG!

    www.OntoMyWardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip looks amazing! I want to go!

    Rhiannon xx
    http://the-mascara-story.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like an amazing trip I'd love to visit Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such an amazing experience. I would love to go to Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, what a beautiful place! Those Mulberry fakes look pretty amazing!!! xxx
    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what awesome sights and the food looked amazing. What was that red fruit in Hong Kong? Great blog! Love the lipstick!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig