Sunday, 28 April 2013

Tea For....Bloggers! Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel

I was thrilled to be invited to try the afternoon tea at the Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel last week. Long-time readers of my blog will know that I'm a big fan of afternoon tea. Eating carbs is perfectly acceptable when they are served in such a well-presented fashion. After a tour of the hotel and a swoon at the view from a rather nice suite we sat down to tea. An ettiquette expert was on hand to give us some insight into the history of afternoon tea and some tips on how to mind our manners. Clinking your teaspoon on the side of your tea cup is a big no-no, as is cutting a scone (pron: skn) with your knife. It is open for debate whether milk should be added to the cup before or after the tea.

Not for eating! This little set up tempts you into the Tangerine Cafe Bar.

The beautiful sunny evening steams through the ceiling. On our tour of the hotel, we learned that the beautiful ceiling remains from when the building was a swimming pool - who would have thought that there used to be a pool on Sloane Street, just around the corner from Harrods?

An iconic London view from the suite. Can I live here, please? Something about this time of year makes me fall in love with London all over again after a long winter of cursing it on a daily basis.

Tea up! Mine's a pot of green tea with a slice of lemon. These are the selection of scones. The chef explained how they have gone for a twist on the classics with a savory scone, a raisin scone and a chocolate scone. I love how these are mini as it means you can try a couple of flavours. The scones were served with clotted cream, raspberry jam and  raspberry puree.
The cake plate did not disappoint. I find this the biggest hit-or-miss part of afternoon tea. I'm not a fan of pastries and shop bought cakes will not do (some afternoon tea establishments provide cakes which look suspiciously purchased!). The chocolate cup was amazing, filled with fruit and a super rich chocolate mousse. I gave up chocolate for Lent and beyond and now only have it very occasionally so my tastebuds loved this! Other delectable cakes came in the form of a chocolate eclair and a chocolate Victoria sponge.
The set-up.

And again. The sandwich selection was really good. No limp sliced bread here. There was a bruscetta, a mini smoked salmon wholemeal baguette (my favourite) and chicken and egg rolls. More sandwiches were available upon request which was great - we were so starving that our first round disappeared pretty fast (etiquette be damned when I'm hungry)!
Posing with the chocolate cup before it melted in my hands. Not that that would have been a problem.
A big thank you to the Millennium Knightsbridge for such a lovely evening.

What makes a great afternoon tea for you?
Share:

5 comments

  1. wish i had been able to go to this, looks yummy. mmmmm chocolate cup

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all got a massive thumbs up from me on the night!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to see you! It was so much fun, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, I am jealous of your chocolate cup!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig