Monday, 17 September 2012

How I Wore: American Apparel Accordian Skirt

An American Apparel maxi skirt had been on my wishlist for a long time but the price and being unsure about how I'd style it put me off. When I saw a black accordian pleat skirt for $9.99 in Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg I knew it was meant to be! But I still didn't wear it for a while.

The "last day of summer" seemed like the perfect time to:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Skirt: American Apparel via Beacon's Closet, Sandals: Birkenstock, Top: Valley Girl (bought in Australia), Bag: Longchamp,

I loved wearing this. It felt so floaty and feminine. My wardrobe mostly consists of above-the-knee dresses so a maxi skirt took some getting used to - care must be taken in strong winds, when walking up stairs and in large crowds. Maxi skirt around ankles would not be a good look.

I am on the short side (5'1) so have to wear the skirt around my waist so that I don't trip on them hem but if you're taller it could be worn around the hips as the waistband is super stretchy. I paired it with a crop top which I don't usually wear in the UK because I don't think bare stomachs are London-appropriate but it was perfect with the high-waisted billowy skirt - anything longer or baggier would have swamped me.

How would you style a maxi skirt?



Share:

5 comments

  1. i think i would trip over it too, as I am only 5ft2. this is such a lovely outfit. love the top!! liloo/@tsunimee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love it! Perfect through to Winter because of the colour. I can imagine it paired with a lace body or something. Love it.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love a good maxi skirt!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love maxi skirts but now I'm trying to think up ways I can wear them over the colder months, I'm thinking some big biker boots underneath! I know what you mean about crop tops too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The maxi skirt is definitely gorgeous. Love how you wore it.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig