Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Olympomania!

Like many Londoners, I was cynical about the arrival of the Olympics. The thought of the city teeming with tourists and the public transport system grinding to a halt all for the sake of sport made me want to barricade myself in my flat for a fortnight with a supply of tinned food. The media compounded this with doubts over whether everything would be ready in time and I started having nightmares about having to run the 1500m at school. Shudder.

The Olympic reality couldn't be more different - I have surprisingly been loving every minute of the Olympics. Evenings have been spent happily plonked on the sofa watching the games, work days are punctuated by sneaky looks at the BBC live feed and the whole of London seems to be basking in Olympic glory - people are smiling, no one in London smiles! I'm not the most sporty person but my dreading PE days are now way behind me and while I may run at half the speed of Mo Farah I now love running regardless and definitely feel inspired to push myself a little harder.

I was lucky enough to win tickets to the track cycling courtesy or Diet Coke. My prize was pretty generous - 4 tickets for row 4 of the Velodrome, travelcards and £300 of spending money on a pre-paid Visa. I will never bemoan my Diet Coke addiction again!

Photobucket

After a rather early start, I met my parents at Kings Cross to board the "javelin" train to the Olympic Park. Being on a javelin train is about as close to doing the sport that I will ever get. After spending practically no time queuing for security, we were in the park! The sun was shining and the park was already full of people. There was such a party atmosphere that it was hard to believe it was 8am on a Sunday. The volunteers and members of the armed forces had so much energy and were tirelessly polite and smiley.

We saw the women's sprint qualifying where Victoria Pendleton broke an Olympic record and a stage of the men's omnium. The speeds of the cyclists were incredible and the crowd went crazy for Pendleton and Ed Clancy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After our event, I generously treated everyone to lunch at the world's largest McDonalds (making a rather small dent in my spending money) and we explored the park, it was great to see the other venues and the Queen's barge, Gloriana. The longest queue of the day was to get into the megastore.

Photobucket

I loved the Orbital building although I wish it were actually a helter-skelter.

Photobucket

And because this is a fashion blog, my Olympic outfit:

Photobucket

Dress: Motel, Scarf: Galleries Lafayette, Cardigan: Jack Wills, Sandals: Birkenstock

This has to be one of the best days I've ever spent in London. It made me feel so proud to call this amazing city my home and I'm so glad that we've shown the world that we can do this! We really do need to be more positive about what we have and what we can achieve and I hope the games have made this possible. Us Brits are far too disparaging sometimes but the Olympics seem to have given everyone a much needed lift. Hopefully the games will inspire people to get off their bums and try something new. And that's got to be preferable to being cynical and eating tinned food, right?

Have you been enjoying the Olympics?
Share:

8 comments

  1. Oh wow what a great win! I wish I could have gone to the olympics. I love your GB outfit too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Olympics have been so amazing! You must have had amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that seems like an amazing prize!!
    I'm in total Olympic fever too. I was cynical before, but am loving every moment of them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks like you had a great time :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. I've been having a great time watching it all on tv :) And what a great prize! Glad you had a nice time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous you've been to the park and I love you patriotic outfit, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great prize! Sounds like you had a lovely day and I love your patriotic outfit. Living in the capital during London 2012 has been amazing, I'll be sad when it's all over x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig