Friday, 6 July 2012

Tea for Three: W Rock Tea

When my dad complained that he had never had afternoon tea I had to change things pronto. Most afternoon teas are rather girlie, some excessively so with glittery pink cupcakes and kitsch vintage china as if only females can enjoy tea and sweet treats. Something a little more manly was in order and when I heard about the W Rock Tea I knew it would be perfect - afternoon tea served on a cake stand made of vinyls with courses named after classic rock songs. Not a glittery cupcake in sight.

My parents and I headed to the W on a Sunday afternoon for our 2pm reservation. The W is quite a "cool" hotel, its barely noticeable on the outside next to the garish M&M Store next door and the first lobby is rather dark and doesn't immediately scream "luxury hotel". We took the lift to the first floor with the lift carpet wishing us a Good Afternoon and headed to the lounge (the carpet wished us a Good Evening when we left at 5.30pm, love the little things).

Tea is served in a bright, high ceilinged lounge with comfortable sofas arranged around coffee tables. We ordered teas to start with but could switch between different types of teas and coffees so I also had a soya cappuccino once I'd finished my fresh mint tea. The waitress was always around to top up our drinks which scored big service points with me as there's nothing worse than having to wait around for a new pot of tea.

Photobucket

Jumpsuit: New Look, Belt: Vintage, Bag: Luella

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We started with "Dark Side of the Moon", a nice selection of sandwiches each on a different type of bread. The smoked salmon ones were especially good.

The "Rule Britannia" scones were freshly made and had the perfect scone texture. We thne moved on to "Every Rose Has A Thorn" which had a lovely delicate rose flavour and "Sticky Fingers", a meringue in the shape of the Rolling Stones logo.

afternoon tea the W hotel

Photobucket

After a bit of a break we tacked "Sweet Emotion", a mini chocolate and passionfruit mouthful and "Cherry Bomb" which had a surprising jelly-like texture and an alcohol soaked cherry in the middle. The "Purple Haze" battenburg was my favourite and I'm not usually a marzipan fan. We finished with "London's Burning", a chocolate moussse in a glass which was rich but not sickly.

Photobucket

Everything in this afternoon tea was perfectly made and the attention to detail was amazing. Every cake had a really distinctive flavour rather than everything just merging into indistinct sweetness. At £25 each it falls in the middle of the price range for a London afternoon tea, an extra £10 gets you a gin cocktail. We didn't ask for and were not offered replenishments of anything but the amount of food per person was just right spread over a couple of hours, just enough to feel satisfied and worth the £25 but not so much that we fell into a sugar coma. There was nothing that I would fault with this afternoon tea; the service, food and mix of tradition and rock and roll was spot on.

Tempted to try tea with a side of rock and roll?
Share:

7 comments

  1. This looks like so much fun! Love your jump suit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks so good! A great way to get dad's and boyfriends into afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! Love your dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god that looks AMAZING!! So jealous- shame we don't have things like that up north. Looking stunning in your dress too (as always) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah-maz-ing. My boyfriend loves afternoon teas for the food but sometimes hates how exclusively girly everywhere you go for them is. This place looks perfect and the food beautiful..love the menu names and the idea of a gin cocktail with it!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing - I've never heard of the W! I might have to treat my husband, although it's still totally more for me than him! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig